• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What will win in tow off??

jggtjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What is everyones opinion in regards to this scenario:
2004 4x4 4.0L Ranger (with exhaust, chip, intake, tb spacer, and brand new all-terrains) vs. 2000 2wd 4.7L V8 Tundra (all stock and street tires)

Be honest...this is a Ranger based forum, but my buddy wants to have a tow off in his Tundra. I can't decide who would win. Your opinion is needed haha.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Tundra.

Depends on many more factors, but I'm betting the V8 Tundra has more weight and more torque. I wouldn't waste the time hooking up to him.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Tundra. It has the weight, power, and most likely traction advantage.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
not even close. Tundra

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am going to say The 4x4 ranger will pull that tundra no problem even on pavement.. it all boils down to who has a greater traction and the tundra being 2wd will be at a huge disadvantage... although the tundra is heavier it will not be able to hook... with a 4x4 you have the ability to saw your steering wheel and get different bites.. he will just spin up one wheel or even if it has a locker he wont have good traction.. weight is an important factor but unless his bed is loaded i dont see it winning... The 4x4 has more weight over its drive wheels than the tundra will (unless his bed is loaded). The power of a v8 does not mean a thing unless it can be transfered to gripping wheels.... thats just my opinion

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I am going to say The 4x4 ranger will pull that tundra no problem even on pavement.. it all boils down to who has a greater traction and the tundra being 2wd will be at a huge disadvantage... although the tundra is heavier it will not be able to hook... with a 4x4 you have the ability to saw your steering wheel and get different bites.. he will just spin up one wheel or even if it has a locker he wont have good traction.. weight is an important factor but unless his bed is loaded i dont see it winning... The 4x4 has more weight over its drive wheels than the tundra will (unless his bed is loaded). The power of a v8 does not mean a thing unless it can be transfered to gripping wheels.... thats just my opinion

been there and already done it. I was running my mouth and my LandCruiser got drug around like a rag doll by a 2wd F150 and we were on a dirt parking lot.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno, my brothers 3.0 Ranger had to pull a tundra down a trail because he couldn't get enough traction to move. But that was on a few feet of snow.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there is only ONE way to find this out... I would be interested in knowing the outcome... my vote is still for 4x4 Ranger... Let us know!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd only put money on the Ranger if it was in the dirt, and you were in 4-Lo...

BigPimpin91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
there is only ONE way to find this out... I would be interested in knowing the outcome... my vote is still for 4x4 Ranger... Let us know!
This.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You. Because you will hold on the brakes until he starts spinning, then you'll punch it and pull him.

Do it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I agree with this, although to prove it effectively, you have to be on pavement.
Yes, this is extremely hard on driveline parts, but if you do it in the dirt, your tires start to dig in a bit and then neither one of you will be able to move out of the divots dug by the tires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals