• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Offroad modifications

Bmacsek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1995 ranger 4wd with the 4.0 v6. Very solid truck. I've got her mostly taken care of on basic maintenance since I got her about a year back. I recently got a set of 30" firestone destination a/t tires so I have a good set there. I really just need new shocks, replace the EGR valve, and take care of a slight oil leak (i think it's a valve head). But that's easy stuff that's be taken care of come inspection time. Then its free sailing until something wears out so I feel the time has come I can start thinking about modifications for offroading. Except I have no idea where to start. I don't think an engine swap is necessary, and a lift kit is just out of the budget for the time being. Something, I wanna say, sub $300 I can do to make her a better trail truck. Everything as of now, engine, tranny, transfer case, driveshaft, axles, etc. is all stock too.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Adding a locker to your rear diff will probably be your best bet (some say to add them to the front, but for driveablity the rear is best IMHO). If you install it yourself it could be done with a Lock-Right for under 300 (maybe 500 with having a shop do it). There are some other options for lockers out there. I have a Lock-Right in the rear (and the front) of my Explorer and it still has some decent street manners. They really arent that hard to install, but if you have never been in a differential before, I would get some advice or help before trying to install one. Just my opinion of course, but might be a direction to look.

Bmacsek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly are lockings anyhow? I've heard of them, but not entirely sure what they do.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
They make it so both your wheels spin instead of just one.

Bmacsek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I looked them up and saw some that would fit my truck, like this one for example, within my price range, and I assume I would only need one? I don't know much about axles, drivetrains I can do, axles aint my specialty. Also how would this necessarily help, and how do I deal with the increased tire wear that usually comes with lockers?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-19215566-ford-8-8-trak-loc-28-spline-new.html

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
This is what I was talking about...
http://www.powertrax.com/index.php/products/lock-right
can be had here....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCK-RIGHT-LOCKER-BY-POWERTRAX-FORD-8-8-inch-28-SPLINE-/251544642087
Most vehicles come from the factory with an open differential. this means the tire that can spin will. Usually thats the tire that you dont need to spin. A locker will make both tires spin (even if one is in the air). this makes the off road ability better as more traction is gained. I suggested a Lock-Right or "lunchbox" locker because the work automatically. Normally a locked axles, both tire spin the same speed, in a turn the inside tire has less ground to travel so they chirp, or slide, to make up to difference. This eats up tires. A lunchbox allows one side to un-lock and ratchet and make the turn. Makes for better street manners. It will lock back up when you get on the accelerator. A luchbox locker just replaces the spider gears (side gears if you will) in a differential. They (the spiders) are what makes the open diff. you only need 1 unit, per axle. Pull the spiders out, put the locker in their place. It gets more complex with lockers like the Detroit Locker (serious locker) and the ARB Locker (air powered, on/off. selectable locked/open). those types require you to put your ring gear on the entire unit (carrier), which is tough to do even with experience (lots of specialized tools involved).Thats a quick and very brief explanation.

The type your looking at you would basically have to do a gear swap to install (it is a carrier type locker, more expense involved as your basically doing a gear swap/set up)

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Also check to see if your truck has a limited slip differential on the rear...Not sure if the lunch box locker will work in that case. my 97 came from the factory with a l/s differential.

Easiest way to check that is get it on a level piece of pavement and with the wheels pointing straight ahead, floor it. if you leave twin tracks of rubber, you have a limited slip differential. if you leave one track of rubber, you have an open differential.

the limited slip differential is a few steps below the lunch box locker that Bloodbane listed, but is much better than an open differential.

you can also look at your axle code, if it has a 3L73, that is a limited slip differential with 3.73 gears in it. check out the link for more info and how to read the door tag for the axle code if your metal tag on the axle is missing or you just don't want to get under the truck right now :)

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

other good stuff in the tech library as well, including installing lockers.

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, locker will get you more traction. You may find yourself using 4x4 more in the winter (maybe not, depends on how you are, I would only use 4x4 when I started to lose a lot of traction in the winter) because the locker will want to push you straight when you go around a bend in slippery conditions. Having it in 4x4 fixes the problem because your front end will be helping pull you around the turn. I run a 'lunchbox' locker in my F-150 work truck, regular Lockright one, installed it myself in an afternoon.

Also, if you look around in the tech library, it's possible to do a 2" lift on your truck on a budget. I started with that sort of lift on my choptop long ago. Then it kinda started growing on it's own in short order and somehow the 2" lift I started with kinda stopped growing at 5" of suspension and 2" of body lift... but anyway..

Bmacsek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I can't say for certain if its limited slip or not. Ain't done the test yet since its raining and i don't have garage space. I wouldn't think so, on a 1995? It is what they would call offroad, since it has the steel plates on the bottom and 4x4, plus the 4L v6 and automatic. But if it is limited slip, what else would you suggest instead of a locker? for around the $300 or less point?

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A locker is great. But depending on the wheeling you do or want to do. A simple change in tires can mean a lot. An aggressive maybe slightly larger tire can make a huge difference. Especially on dirt and mud.

It's easy to get caught up in the awesome mods the guys on the forum make to there trucks and wheel it hard. We all kinda want that. I know the reality of where I drive mine, good set of tires little extra ground clearance and I'm amazed sometimes where my B2 can go. Now we don't have mountains here in eastern nc but I can camp, paddle, and hunt in some pretty remote areas with a basically stock truck.

Now that being said....... Wish list. SAS front, V8 swap, lockers, lift, 35's :icon_hornsup::icon_hornsup::icon_welder::icon_thumby:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I can't say for certain if its limited slip or not. Ain't done the test yet since its raining and i don't have garage space. I wouldn't think so, on a 1995? It is what they would call offroad, since it has the steel plates on the bottom and 4x4, plus the 4L v6 and automatic. But if it is limited slip, what else would you suggest instead of a locker? for around the $300 or less point?
My 97 has all of what your truck has, and came from the factory with a L/S. so check it out :) if it does have L/S, I would probably leave it and look at saving up money to swap in a true locker. and since you would be setting up the gears again, that would be the time to look at whether or not you want taller gears/ bigger tires...but you will have to do the front as well.

AJ

Bmacsek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah for a while I was on the overhaul mindset, like a 351 and all, 40" tires, blah blah blah. Then I realized how pointless (not to mention expensive) it would be. I'm cool with my 4.0, though I might look at a transmission swap to see if I can get some lower gearing in 1st. But that's all in the future. My tires are great, the firestone destination a/t are really tough, and even at 30" they grab real well. Based on the "burnout" test (punch the gas from a stop and I had 2 skid marks, don't worry, this was before i got new tires), i would actually assume its LS. My tires are solid, and after some repairs, she'll be in tip top shape... which leaves me ready to start modding. So it seems I'm back to square one again.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Under 300 bucks? Add some led lights/light bars under or over the bumper, and across the roof. Just don't turn the roof one on driving down the road. lol

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe a little amour to protect the truck. Bumper, Rock sliders . High lift jack or other recovery gear, Not exactly mods but important stuff.

Lights arent bad if you are out at night.

If nothing else go for cool, snorkel, set of good used wheels, just make the truck your own

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals