• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating, no temp gauge

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i've been having troubles with my temp gauge it wont read since my dad helped me replace the thermostat ( my dad did it :shok:) Anyways So my temp gauge doesn't work anymore and i can tell my engines getting really hot. Smells hot, feels hot, sounds hot, (tastes hot jk) It wasn't a new thermostat but we were doing the water pump so it had to come off. So a couple of questions are my thermostat and temperature gauge related? If the temp gauge was reading badly would that affect how my engine wants to cool itself or does that lie solely with something else? thanks.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So i've been having troubles with my temp gauge it wont read since my dad helped me replace the thermostat ( my dad did it :shok:) Anyways So my temp gauge doesn't work anymore and i can tell my engines getting really hot. Smells hot, feels hot, sounds hot, (tastes hot jk) It wasn't a new thermostat but we were doing the water pump so it had to come off. So a couple of questions are my thermostat and temperature gauge related? If the temp gauge was reading badly would that affect how my engine wants to cool itself or does that lie solely with something else? thanks.
It might have gotten unplugged, it is a single wire that pushes on to the thermostat sender located on the top front of the lower intake. I suggest you buy an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge, the factory ones are less than favorable and the aftermarket ones allows you keep a good eye on the engine.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 on that. Power wash your radiator. They can get totally clogged externally. They can also get clogged internally if you're not running antifreeze and distilled water through them. If you've got hard water in your area, I'd be worried about the latter.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 on that. Power wash your radiator. They can get totally clogged externally. They can also get clogged internally if you're not running antifreeze and distilled water through them. If you've got hard water in your area, I'd be worried about the latter.
Be careful that you hit it straight so you don't fold the fins shut. :icon_thumby:

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i didnt power wash it but i degreased it with a nice sponge that got down in the fins nicely, its cleans externally. I have a flushing system hooked up and its nicely flushed still have the problem; gets really hot.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Something similar happened to my moms 92.
My uncle put a thermostat in it and used blue rtv silicone, he used wayy too much and it caused the thermostat to get stuck closed. The temperature gauge wasn't reading properly and she could hear the coolant boiling in the engine. :shok:

I always use the proper gaskets and boil the thermostat first to make sure it is working properly. :dunno:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Put a new under-the-dash-temp-gauge in FIRST! Then remove the radiator cap....start the engine.....turn the cab heater on HOT....be CAREFUL adding coolant...it could take 20 minutes to get all the air bubbles out of the coolant system and heater system..keep adding coolant as the level drops in the radiator....

BE CAREFUL IF THE RADIATOR "BELCHES" HOT COOLANT OUT!!!!!

if the above doesnt work...make sure the belts aren't backwards....and put in a new thermostat......then re-fill with coolant mixture.

keep us updated..........AND BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals