• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery Wire??? And ignition cable issue

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

I've had my new-to-me truck about a month now. There's this really big stranded wire that starts near the battery's neg terminal, goes down past the wheel well, inside the rocker panel & terminates tied up near the end of the rocker panel. It's taped up in the engine compartment, and open-ended at the other end. From the look of it, I can't imagine it was ever anything Ford related. Any guess if it may have replaced a connection I ought to have? Looks like someone probably just used it for a personal project.

I thought maybe towing related, but it has a standard towing connection already. Plus it's maybe 2 to 3 times the diameter of any lighting wires, so it could probably carry a significant current. As far as I know, everything in/on the truck works except the ABS.

Also, I noticed today that at least one ignition cable is sitting directly on the intake manifold. I wiggled it a bit & it seems to be fairly taught with no excess to really pull it off there. Does that seem normal? Is it even OK? I know it's the intake manifold, but it's pretty close to the engine, so it must get pretty hot there. Plus there's got to be friction on the jacket from the metal manifold.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That wire is nothing factory. What the PO used it for is anyone's guess. I'd ask him if you have that option.

As for the plug wire, it probably isn't hurting anything right now, but I would try to reroute it so that it doesn't end up chafing through.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most likely the PO's very poorly routed amp wire. Get rid of it.!!!!

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
About what I thought on both counts. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals