• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam and injector help

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys,

I have a 99 ranger 2.5l. So far it has: custom intake, full length "race" header, no egr, ported head and lower intake manifold, and a jet chip.

What I want to do next is add a cam and the 19lb injectors....

Can someone help me out with camshaft selection? What cam to go with for my setup? Do I need new valve springs? If so, which ones?

And on the injectors....I read somewhere you can drill out the mass air flow sampling tube to "fool" the computer into adjusting for the larger injectors...then I read somewhere else this is not the correct way to do it, and you dont gain anything....is having the computer flashed/dyno tuned the way to go? Who can do that?

this is a off road race truck that runs at 4-6000rpm for 4+ hours at a time and seems like it could really benefit from the larger injectors if they can be tuned properly.....I am just clueless when it come to tuning engines. I can install any part you throw at me, but matching parts and getting them dialed in I have trouble with. I think its the lack of patience lol.

Thanks!!!

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately, since you have a 'newer' motor, you have the smaller valve stems, which require the unique smaller tipped roller followers, requiring you to use a roller cam, which is not cheap.

Upping the injector size and drilling out the MAF sampling tube works well.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Racer Walsh will set you up with springs to match the cam you purchase from them. They have complete kits that have everything you need. The prices are a little better than Esslinger.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Racer Walsh will set you up with springs to match the cam you purchase from them. They have complete kits that have everything you need. The prices are a little better than Esslinger.
Funny thing is I called racer walsh and they told me I could'nt use an aftermarket cam, because my engine has a cam position sensor and it would'nt run right.....maybe I just need to talk to someone else over there....does'nt make any sense to me...

what size do you drill the maf tube out too?

thanks guys

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No. They're right and I'm wrong. I'm sorry. I'm not very familiar with the 2.5. All I know is that they are BASED on the 2.3 which I know well.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Funny thing is I called racer walsh and they told me I could'nt use an aftermarket cam, because my engine has a cam position sensor and it would'nt run right.....maybe I just need to talk to someone else over there....does'nt make any sense to me...
Yeah, call them back and ask for somebody who understands EDIS systems. The cam position sensor isn't even on the cam and actually has nothing to do with the cam. Yes, it's strange but true.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

what size do you drill the maf tube out too?

thanks guys

OK, thanks guys I'll call them back and see what they say, maybe try esslinger too......

so....anyone remember what to drill that maf tube out too for the 19lb injectors? :dntknw:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
does the 99 have the plastic MAF? That may be different as so far everyone who has done the larger injectors is using the older aluminum MAF housing... I dont know how much different the inside of the plastic housing is compared to the older aluminum housing. For the older ranger aluminum housing it was cut out the post and drill the sampling tube to 15/32". That is for the aluminum MAF housing from a ranger around the 93-94 era.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
does the 99 have the plastic MAF? That may be different as so far everyone who has done the larger injectors is using the older aluminum MAF housing... I dont know how much different the inside of the plastic housing is compared to the older aluminum housing. For the older ranger aluminum housing it was cut out the post and drill the sampling tube to 15/32". That is for the aluminum MAF housing from a ranger around the 93-94 era.
Mine is aluminum as well.....but the only "post" I see is what holds the actual sensor and tube in place.....we ARE talking about drilling the tube that the actual sensor wire is directly behind right?

Also, one more quicky - the 2.5 is just about the only engine running the 14lbers right? So if I have a 92 3.0 in my garage, those injectors should be 19lb?

Thank you guys so much for your help. This is the ONLY place I have found with such info....:icon_cheers:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you want to drill out the sampling tube and remove the post. BUT, be sure to remove the sensor from the housing first!

Not sure what injectors they used in the V6's most guys get their injectors from 4.6 Crown Vic's. (I think)

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a lot of the 4.0L had the 19 lbs, and tons and tons of 5.0L have them. I'd say go for a late 80s early 90s 5.0L and just pop one out and check the color of it.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
a lot of the 4.0L had the 19 lbs, and tons and tons of 5.0L have them. I'd say go for a late 80s early 90s 5.0L and just pop one out and check the color of it.

What color am i looking for?

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hope this helps!

ford injectors
19lb - orange
24lb - light blue
30lb - red
36lb - dark blue
42lb - lime green

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals