• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Too cold for 4WD?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
When the temperatures were in the low teens and single digits this past week I could not get any lights or any noise or any action when trying to go into 4 wheel drive during the snow storm!

ARRRG! Because back towards the end of the summer we rebuilt practically everything on the front. But of course I never bothered to put it in 4-wheel drive and here it is winter is upon us and the one time I think I really need to use the 4 wheel drive it doesn't happen, don't you love Murphy's Law?

Finally, the temperatures are up in the high 20s and low 30s and it went into 4wd smooth as silk!

New warn hubs ***** hi 5s!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thick grease/gunk in shift motor on t-case?

The lights will come on if the t-case is in gear, it won't care at all about what the front axle does.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thick grease/gunk in shift motor on t-case?

The lights will come on if the t-case is in gear, it won't care at all about what the front axle does.
The electric shift motor can't move when it's cold and when it's so cold even the engine temperature and under chassis warmth is still not enough to warm up the shift motor? That would be my guess.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would lean towards shift module rather than shift motor, although it shouldn't be effected by temp.

There are 3 resistors in the button set, and 2 wires connect it to shift module.
When you press a button on dash, the shift module will "sense" the change in voltage thru more or less resistors.
It will then close the relays to power the shift motor, either clockwise or counterclockwise, to get to selected transfer case position.
In the shift motor gear box there are contacts that open and close as the motor moves.
If shift module closes the relays and it doesn't "see" contacts opening and closing immediately it will open the relays and Flash the 4WD lights to indicate the "no movement" problem.

So no Flashing lights means either the shift module never got the "change positions" from a button or shift module was off at the time

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would lean towards shift module rather than shift motor, although it shouldn't be effected by temp.

There are 3 resistors in the button set, and 2 wires connect it to shift module.
When you press a button on dash, the shift module will "sense" the change in voltage thru more or less resistors.
It will then close the relays to power the shift motor, either clockwise or counterclockwise, to get to selected transfer case position.
In the shift motor gear box there are contacts that open and close as the motor moves.
If shift module closes the relays and it doesn't "see" contacts opening and closing immediately it will open the relays and Flash the 4WD lights to indicate the "no movement" problem.

So no Flashing lights means either the shift module never got the "change positions" from a button or shift module was off at the time
Dunno Ron! Had nada, when it was single digit temps, certainly not going to mess around in this weather!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would lean towards the low temps affecting the motor. Low temps mess with all sorts of things that seem to operate properly otherwise.

My wiper motor works fine, especially for being 30 years old. Unless it is below 10*, then the wipers don't park correctly.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would lean towards the low temps affecting the motor. Low temps mess with all sorts of things that seem to operate properly otherwise.

My wiper motor works fine, especially for being 30 years old. Unless it is below 10*, then the wipers don't park correctly.
Adsm Ron, I kind of agree, it happens with much higher voltages electromagnetic and or electric mechanical relays even motors with start capacitors, so I think in the spring we'll replacing that motor in addition to other things.

beerbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem a couple of below zero nights on my '95. After driving a couple hundred feet, I stopped and then 4 wheel drive would engage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals