• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 4wd ABS diagnostic help needed

happyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 4wd ranger with the 4 wheel ABS that is not working. I have 3 codes C1155, C1145, C1230 all of which are wheel sensor circuit failures. When I erase the codes they immediately come back without even starting or driving the truck. The front sensors are new, I just replaced the hub assemblies. I tested the front sensors just to make sure and got a reading of 430-450 ohms on either side ( I spun each wheel to see if it varied) I tried testing for AC voltage and got up to 5 mv, which was as much as I could get by spinning the wheels. I checked the wires at the front near the connectors and all looks good ( no rubbing or cut wires) I think the ABS module is on the way out, but I don't have a code the says that and I believe there is a code for module failure. I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and they are good, I wiggled the relays around to for good measure. It just seems unlikely that the circuits would all fail at the same time. I will also say that I had only the one code c1155 for months that would clear with my scanner but came back as soon as I drove the truck. The truck was just in a rear end accident that only damaged the bed and the bumper, but because the truck is 18 years old and high mileage the insurance company totaled the truck. So I have already replaced the bed and bumper and now have the truck in the reconstructed inspection process (PA state). I know this is long winded but I wanted to provide as much information up front to anyone who is willing to help.

fiveologyjay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try replacing the Speed Sensor in the rear end housing. It's simple to replace and should be less than $20.

happyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I replaced the rear sensor and still had the codes for the front two sensors. I picked up a control module at the junkyard and put that in and no more codes. I'm not sure if is programmed the same but it didn't drive or brake any differently and no new codes came up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals