• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 Ranger T-case compatability

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, I'm picking up a 2007 ford ranger this week with a cracked transfer-case.
I'm a little confused as to which years T-Case are compatible?
It appears that all 98+ Rangers have a BW1354 if not equipped with a manual t-case, but I can't seem to tell what the difference is between the earlier and later BW1354 t-cases?

thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
2001-2011 should all be same, excepting for the manual-shift FX4 variant (which should fit a '07 as well, though you might have to swap the extension housing or get a little creative if your trans doesn't have the bosses for the shifter handle).

1998-2000 cases should work on a '07 too.
These have an internal electromagnetic spin-up clutch to spin the front axle up to speed before the hubs lock. However on a '07 the front axle has no hubs and always spins, so you may even be able to just remove the clutch since it isn't needed.

Pre-1998 cases won't work though unless you also swap the driveshaft (at least I think they will work with swapping the shaft)

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2001-2011 should all be same, excepting for the manual-shift FX4 variant (which should fit a '07 as well, though you might have to swap the extension housing or get a little creative if your trans doesn't have the bosses for the shifter handle).

1998-2000 cases should work on a '07 too.
These have an internal electromagnetic spin-up clutch to spin the front axle up to speed before the hubs lock. However on a '07 the front axle has no hubs and always spins, so you may even be able to just remove the clutch since it isn't needed.

Pre-1998 cases won't work though unless you also swap the driveshaft (at least I think they will work with swapping the shaft)
thank you for the reply 4x4junkie. That's pretty much what I understood but just wanted to confirm.
Do you know of anyone that's swapped the older t-case/driveshaft in? I wonder if the shaft is the correct length. If so It would save me the trouble of cutting one of those shafts down/buying a U-Joint adapter if and when I were to put a 4" skyjacker lift.

thanks!

French-connection

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Livetoride.

I just replaced my old T-case (2002 electric) with another gently used one.
I kept the front output shaft as well as the rear output flange.
Send me a message if you can use those parts.

I found my replacement T-case on www.car-part.com
I got really lucky and got a great unit.
Maybe this can help you too.

Olivier

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Livetoride.

I just replaced my old T-case (2002 electric) with another gently used one.
I kept the front output shaft as well as the rear output flange.
Send me a message if you can use those parts.

I found my replacement T-case on www.car-part.com
I got really lucky and got a great unit.
Maybe this can help you too.

Olivier
Thanks for the info Oliver.
I'll be picking up the truck Friday so at that point I'll be able to assess what's actually wrong. The current owner told me T-case was cracked, but at first glance couldn't see any glaring cracks. One I have it in a warm garage I'll take a closer look, just wanted to confirm which years T-case to keep an eye out for.

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
One more question, hoping someone else can chime in.
Will any 1354 from an SLA equipped explorer bolt in?
As far as I've read all explorer transfer cases as long as it's a BW 1354 will work, but can anyone here confirm?
There are a few explorers at the U-Pull near by, and I can pick up a T-case really cheap there.

thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
thank you for the reply 4x4junkie. That's pretty much what I understood but just wanted to confirm.
Do you know of anyone that's swapped the older t-case/driveshaft in? I wonder if the shaft is the correct length. If so It would save me the trouble of cutting one of those shafts down/buying a U-Joint adapter if and when I were to put a 4" skyjacker lift.

thanks!
I would think the drive shaft is the same length... It's still a D35 axle up front, and the wheelbase isn't significantly different (at least in regard to position of the front axle), biggest relevant difference is the front diff went from high-pinion to lo-pinion (if anything, that might add slightly to it's length, which should be a little easier to deal with than it being too short). However I have not verified for sure if they are the same length.

'95-'01 Explorers have BW4405 cases, which the 4HI mode is actually an AWD mode IIRC. I understand they are not quite as desirable unless you have a reason to want AWD.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals