• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 4x4 front brake upgrade

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not having any luck with searching on this, but I'm probably not using the right terms.

So had the front tires off my 99 the other day and noticed that the pads are starting to get low. I love the way my 32x11.5R15 Faulken Rocky Mountians look and work, but they are heavy. I recall reading that the Explorers, Sport Tracs, and IIRC some later Rangers had larger front rotors. So thinking that when its time for brakes this might be a good swap, just gotta figure out what I need to do it.

Obviously to run the larger rotors I'll need spindles that put the caliper in the right spot. I know the size change came out after 2002 because my dad's has the same size brakes as mine does. So what years will I need to acquire knuckles from? Will the Ex. or ST components even fit?

Would I be able to move my 99 CV axles and other components over to the newer knuckles and retain the AVM hubs? When the time comes I don't have a problem going to live axle, but would prefer to wait until I need them (AKA when the AVMs break).

Calipers and brackets, are they the same or would I need the later model components there as well?

Final question that may kill the whole ideal for a while. Will they work with 15" wheels? Got too much life left in these tires to even think about going to bigger wheels right now. If that is the case I'll just get better pads, and keep rolling with what I got. Nothing really wrong with stock size when its in good shape, but IMO if components need replacing it's a good time to upgrade if its being considered.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I don't recall ever hearing they changed the size of the calipers on Rangers, but maybe Exploders and Sport Tracs got beefier brakes from either changing platforms or because they had V8s. I just put slotted/crossdrilled rotors on since my rotors were a bit off, and I figured why the hell not, though there seems to be no real consensus on whether the crossdrilled/slotted rotors offer any real performance benefit... but they do look cool, and Rockauto had them reasonably priced. I got decent pads as well and with our dual piston calipers, there doesn't seem to be a lack of stopping power:

They seem to be holding up so far and while it may just be that the old pads and rotors were that bad, I really like them.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Josh:

What you are looking for: '04-05 Explorer rotors, caliper...and maybe knuckles/spindles... Explorer SportTrac AWD should be replace calipers and install new rotors; there is hat height difference between std Explorer and Ranger rotors, so that might need more parts swapped.

'94-'11 Ranger 4x4: 11.26" rotors, hat height 2.600"; dual 43mm piston calipers
'04-05 Explorer SportTrac AWD: 12" rotors, hat height 2.610"; dual 48mm piston calipers

Only ~3/8" increase in radius, so should fit in 15" rims. Should provide substantially more braking power (48mm pistons have 25% more area = 25% more force...).

I was trying to figure out how to increase stopping power of my 2wd coil Ranger and went through all the possible combinations...

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
You mentioned a manual hub swap when the PVH stopped working...with a 1999 that should be any day now...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, I mentioned a live axle swap when the AVM (actually Rugged Ridge branded) hubs get worn out or break.

The PVH hubs were shot when I bought the truck in 2005, one of the original AVM hubs I installed broke around 2010 when a wheel came off (lugs backed off). It's been about 4 years so I figure I'm getting due to break another one in the next year or two. I did see a Craigslist ad for a set the other day good price, might just pick them up for a spare set.

I found a thread about this that showed I could install my unit bearings, CV axles, and hubs to pretty much any 4wd Ranger SLA knuckle and many Explorer ones as well. With that in mind I may not even worry about the whole live axle set-up. It's nice being able to disconnect the axles and not have to worry about drag or wear on parts. While the AVM style hubs have got their weak points (plastic in the body) they are strong enough for most anything I'd do. The one that broke was an accident not related to normal use or wheeling.

Did some quick searching on Rock auto when I had a minute earlier today. The Rangers definitely moved to a larger rotor also, because they list a different size on Rock Auto. I only check for a 2005 and my 1999 so I'm not sure what year the change happened. I also know that the live axle Superlift kits are drilled for two different caliper bracket mounting locations due to a change in rotor size. Need to do some more digging to narrow down years and see if the calipers or brackets changed much if any.

Still need to figure out about the wheels. It was more like a 3/4" diameter change and I'm really not sure if they will fit. Like I said before got a lot of life left in my tires and I like them and my current wheels, and I'm not going to replace them just for this mod. If this mod requires them it'll have to wait at least until these tires wear out.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had looked into this a couple months ago. Had to find this again but has a good break down of the different years and models you need the knuckles from to fit the larger 12" rotors.
Dave

Vehicle Fit
•2001-2003 Ford Explorer Sport Front Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CERAMIC for 4WD Models Ceramic
•2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Front Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CERAMIC for 4WD Models Ceramic
•2003-2011 Ford Ranger Front Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CERAMIC for 4WD Models Ceramic
•2003-2007 Mazda B3000 Truck Front Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CERAMIC for 4WD Models Ceramic
•2003-2009 Mazda B4000 Truck Front Brake Pad & Rotor Kit CERAMIC for 4WD Models Ceramic

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mac, Thanks that list helps a lot!

I figured out that I could keep my AVM's last night from a how-to detailing the conversion of a 2006 FX4 LII to install AVM hubs. That same how to answered my wheel fittment question, I always though that those moved up to a 16" wheel after the first couple years. Turns out the always kept the 31x10.5R15. If they clear on a 2006 with 12" disks, they will fit on my '99 with them.

With the list you provided I can do some comparison on what will be needed for the conversion. I'm thinking that some of those Rangers used the same calipers that are on my truck which will cut down on cost of doing the conversion. On the other hand I think the later Rangers and the sport tracs may have had bigger pistons and maybe pads, which would benificial for the upgrade if the price is right. Will post up my findings. Might even do a how-to for this forum when I get everything figured out and go through with the install.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A little thread necromancy...

Just got a '99 S/C 4x4; blown left PVH.

Was smart; when I did my 5.0 conversion, I kept the Explorer front axle.

Wasn't so smart; didn't keep the knuckles - one hub was blowing grease everywhere; didn't need it /want the mess in the garage at the time...

So, if I go to local Pick/n/Pull and grab the knuckles/hubs/rotors from an '08; do I need the calipers to get brake upgrade? Or can I use existing calipers?

Don't want to miss a critical piece...

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just sticking the paddles to a dead thread, but Im in the exact same boat. 99SC 4x4 and my pads and rotors are about done. I frequently push the limits of what these trucks were designed to carry, so the bigger rotors and pistons SHOULD (yeah I get it) help what I have last a bit longer.

From waht I gather in this thread, I just need the front end parts off an 03-11 Ranger? Or is the knuckles from the ranger and the brakes off the ST?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
just did this swap on my 2000 live axle a month ago.
knuckles from a 2004 Ranger, went from 11.25" to 12" rotors.
everything was a direct bolt on, even the ABS lines hooked up.
re-used calipers & brackets, did not open the lines.
bought explorer pads, they are slightly larger.
MOST 15" WHEELS WILL NOT FIT!!!! some aftermarket wheels may fit, you will need to, measure them.

starting in 2010 Ford made a modified version of the 15" twin-spoke with 5 D hole wheels that have a larger drum section to fit over the 12" rotors. Similar to 3431, they have a part number cast in and are the ONLY wheels of that type that fit. I have the number someplace, not at hand right now.

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome! ! ! Does that include the 48mm piston calipers?

Edit:

Nevermind... same calipers means you didn't upgrade them. I guess I need to read better.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
just did this swap on my 2000 live axle a month ago.
knuckles from a 2004 Ranger, went from 11.25" to 12" rotors.
everything was a direct bolt on, even the ABS lines hooked up.
re-used calipers & brackets, did not open the lines.
bought explorer pads, they are slightly larger.
MOST 15" WHEELS WILL NOT FIT!!!! some aftermarket wheels may fit, you will need to, measure them.

starting in 2010 Ford made a modified version of the 15" twin-spoke with 5 D hole wheels that have a larger drum section to fit over the 12" rotors. Similar to 3431, they have a part number cast in and are the ONLY wheels of that type that fit. I have the number someplace, not at hand right now.
Any thoughts on the swap now that it's been a couple of years?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, I forgot about this thread. I'm interested in hearing this as well.

Back then I just installed better pads and rode. Don't recall what pads I used now. Maybe Hawk brand? Did that, new lines and new calipers IIRC, also flushed and bled the fluid. Made a huge difference.

The PVH hubs were shot when I bought the truck in 2005, one of the original AVM hubs I installed broke around 2010 when a wheel came off (lugs backed off). It's been about 4 years so I figure I'm getting due to break another one in the next year or two.
... and it broke 2 weeks ago. Metal part just came off going down the road. Not sure if tire shop hit it weird the day before or if something in the road hit it and knocked it off. Glad I held onto the good one as a spare back then. Still need to put it on.

Final question that may kill the whole ideal for a while. Will they work with 15" wheels? Got too much life left in these tires to even think about going to bigger wheels right now.
Well just went back to 16s and stock sized tires, so that won't be an issue any more. That said the lighter wheel and tire combo makes the stock brakes feel a lot better.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the 12" brakes work great. truck is still the wiffies daily driver and she hasn't run into anything yet.

last fall I bought new tires & wheels, 15x8" steel. standard offset would not fit, had to go with about 3-1/2" (maybe 3-3/4) back space.

to put 15" wheels on the 12" rotors the shape of the wheel needs to be straight from the rear flange all the way to the mounting surface. if the barrel tapers to a smaller diameter it won't fit without big spacers or a very small backspace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals