• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maybe wrong fluid

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
My neighbor used Valvoline Maxlife multi vehicle transmission fluid in his transfer case in a 2004 ranger ,it says Dex/Merc and mercon V along with a bunch of other vehicle manufacturers , question is will this fluid trash his transfer case. I told him that I use Dex/Merc in my 2004 and 1994 and that I would ask you guys . He needs to join the forum .

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its fine. That's no longer the correct fluid, but when the truck was built it was. The spec was updated to "transfer case fluid" a few years after the truck was built, which is Merc V with some other additives to help the magnetic clutch.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Its fine. That's no longer the correct fluid, but when the truck was built it was. The spec was updated to "transfer case fluid" a few years after the truck was built, which is Merc V with some other additives to help the magnetic clutch.
So should we both be using transfer case fluid from Ford ,changing over to Ford transfer case fluid would be fine with me if that's what I should use .The Maxlife is the full synthetic in the red bottle. I'll let him know . Thanks

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Dex/Merc is 100% the correct fluid. Mercon is what the truck was originally spec'ed for, and is now called "Dex/Merc" only because of some crap Ford pulled with licensing of the Mercon name a number of years ago. The fluid itself has not changed.

Straight Mercon V normally shouldn't trash anything in the t-case either, but like adsm mentions, it can potentially cause a lag with the spin-up clutch used in pre-'01 cases (and for similar reasons is why I do not recommend Merc V in the M5OD). However unless you have a pre-'01 truck and often shift into 4x4 from 2WD while speeding down the road, it's a non-issue ('01+ trucks don't have a spin-up clutch since the front end is already spinning 100% of the time).

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks Guys....

Fordfreak11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need help!

Please help me I'm new and can't figure out how to post something to have all you help me fix my for our tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks. Much appreciated

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Please help me I'm new and can't figure out how to post something to have all you help me fix my for our tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks. Much appreciated
Are you ****ing shitting me ! Post under the forum page that pertains to your needs and you will get an answer !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals