• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

aluminum 4 cylinder

f100guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From a bit of poking around it looks like in 08 the Ranger came with an aluminum 2.3. Did this continue until it's demise? And most important, does anyone know how much an engine/tranny combo weighs? I've heard 300# but that seem light. I want to put this in a Morris Minor. Before you get your knickers in a knot, I've already stuffed a 4.6 dohc Cobra in a 95 Ranger so I've paid my high hp dues.

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Duratec 2.3s are aluminum and used from 2001.5 until the end of production.

I'd place the weight at 400#

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stateranger is correct. Any Duratec 2.3 is aluminum, and has the added benefit of being a DOHC design. They're lighter and produce more hp/tq than the SOHC Lima 2.3l that preceded them. They're very popular engines to use in Caterham/Locost builds as well as some racing series. The Duratec/MZR engine family has tons of aftermarket support in both naturally aspirated and boosted varieties, and came in transverse and longitudinal layouts. They powered fwd, rwd and awd vehicles from Ford and Mazda. Your list of potential donors is very long, depending on what you want or don't want from the engine.

The estimated weight of a Duratec 2.3 is around 250lbs with accessories and no trans. The Ranger version may be a bit lighter since it doesn't have the added weight of a balance shaft. Here's the best breakdown I've found of the weight, but it's based on the Focus 2.3 so some parts will vary. It should give you a pretty good idea of what you're dealing with though.
http://duratec.wikispaces.com/Duratec_engine_parts_weight

Last edited:

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My Fusion 2.5 (bored and stroked 2.3 with balance shafts) weighs in at 320 pounds, ready to bolt to the M5R1 and install. The tranny weigh 95 pounds with a remote shifter.

This engine has homemade intake and exhaust manifolds as it is in a Sunbeam Alpine and space is very tight. The intake is heavier than stock, the exhaust is lighter. I consider it a wash.

BTW, if you plan to spend much time in the car, consider a balance shaft engine. I removed a Ranger 2.3 Duratec from this car and the difference in engine vibes is dramatic. The vibes get to you after a ten hour day on the road. The 2.3 really vibrates, I think mostly due to the primitive engine mounts (55 chevy) I used. No room for modern, high tech mounts.

Just one man's experience.

Bill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals