• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to make a 4 banger faster?

andystamey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
AS a fellow driver of a 2.3l ranger, the fastest way is gonna be a tow strap onto the back of a faster car.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's has 4 cylinder engine, just drive it. Shame the other posters on this thread can't read and comprehend your posts where it was stated that you don't want to turbo or swap the engine. Not everyone on this forum has reading problems.

Keep the tires stock size and make sure to keep the engine tuned up and maintained. Bigger tires mean less power and fuel economy.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a duratec 2.3l extended cab and im turning her into a prerunner. i just got an 8.8 rear end geared to 4.56 and in a couple weeks im gonna get some 33x10.50r15's it has enough power to haul ass out in the dezert so i say run it till you kill it then do a 4.0 swap :D

Stinger427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l (future 5.0/5.8)
Transmission
Manual
lolocopters at all the hillbillys that say v8 swap and 4 cyl is useless. only in bfe can you swap a 302 and get away with it, swap a v8 into a ranger and get caught in ca or other smog states and your trucks getting towed, a heavy fine, and walking home. another bonus of keeping the 2.3 is built NA or turbo'd in the 200-275hp range you'll still be pulling near 30mpg if you try and youll be hard pressed to find a v8 thats going to pull that.

23ns in the ranger has a forged crank good to 7500rpm, metal timing chain guides, no balance shaft, and a d20 head with smaller ports for better low end tq. the head and intake manifold are going to limit your NA power to around 200. pistons, rods, cams, everything to have a "built" motor is out there and way cheaper then building a honda. you said no boost and its true NA is Best! but these motors do love teh turbu and thats where the real powers at.

I do respect this comment because its not all about having the fastest truck in the universe. As far as my ranger, I would love a v8 swap but doing a turbo 2.3 or building up the bottom end on my 2.3 then doing an svo head would be sweet because of the gas mileage and still being able to have your daily driver that'll burn the tires off or mess with people on the road. You have your fun daily driver so you can focus on the project witha v8 you have in the works. like me, trying to find a fox for mustang week. First post on this forum by the way, ranger guys are cool as hell.

River

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
a better exhaust system did wonders for mine both in power and gas mileage, (i also have a 2.3) but if your expecting v8 power your going to be disappointed, if your expectations are realistic then you wont be.

On the v8 vs build what you have debate there are valid points made by both sides. the old saying was there is no substitute for cubic inches, it has been replaced by there is no substitute for cubic dollars......meaning the larger engine the less mods needed, that said if you through enough money at it power can be made from any engine. the guy that said weight reduction is your best bet is on the right track....every 100lbs is a tenth of a second lost in the 1/4 mile.

only my 3rd post and loving this forum too

harbt95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I get another vehicle to replace my dd 95 splash 2wd 4.0 im doing a 427 swap I've got one under my bench that's begging to be put in my truck. I've also got a 4 speed and every thing for the clutch as well. Gotta find a way to use the factory clutch pedel or im putting my auto trans in it. Should be fun with the motor built lke it is. I've gotta look and see but I know it's above 400 hp

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals