• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! Timing Help Needed!

Keeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 ford bronco 2 with the 2.9l v6 in it and manual 5 speed.

I had to replace the distributor recently because the hall effect had gone out. now my timing is way off and the truck won't start.

Now here are some things you should know. I have the correct firing order and i've made sure everything is connected. firing order being 142536 clockwise.
The truck does not have a timing pointer (for god knows what stupid reason)
and there are no marks on the cap or distributor to tell me where things are.

so first question would be where the hell does the number one spark plug connect to on the cap. the diagrams i keep finding are useless since its not simply marked. the distributor isn't factory lined up anymore because its been completely replaced.

and since i don't have a timing pointer how do i know where exact TDC is? i got as far as the finger in the hole (harharhar) part but then i can't get it to exact tdc. without going to a junkyard and trying to find one of the stupid pointers and spending more money how do i get this truck running?

also to the admins. I apologize for any mistakes ahead of time. I do not have the time right now to read through the stickies or go on a wild duck hunt for a similar post. I've already wasted plenty of time scouring the web.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think number one will be at about 11 O'clock with 12 O'clock toward the firewall. Once you have it on the compression stroke, to get close to top dead center you can put a long screwdriver or something down the plug hole and manually turn the crankshaft until you feel the piston is all the way at the top. You might need to turn it back and forth a little to get it right. I just went out and looked at mine and if you look at the LH side of the water pump you can see four bolts, lets say two outer and two inner. Of the two inner bolts which are the ones closest to the pulley, the lower bolt lines up fairly close to the pointer. Actually the left edge of the bolt head. Hope this makes sense.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
doesnt really matter about the number 1 plug on the cap. i had to change my firing order when i put the dspark disty in so i wouldnt have to keep pulling the disty, if u got enough room to advance and retard get the #1 to tdc and wherever the rotor is pointing put your #1 wire there. then follow the firing order. then time with a light. in other words at tdc if your rotor isnt pointing at 11, just put #1 plug closest to where it is pointing. mine is 1 tower back(counterclockwise), and i just followed the order from there. hope it helps

also finding tdc u will feel a whoosh of air out of the plug hole on the compression stroke. will have a small woosh on other strokes but when u hit compression it wont be mistaken

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You can use anything for a timing pointer, although a factory one is probably best. Use the above mentioned method for TDC location. Then secure something to the engine, even if you use popsicle sticks and JB weld, so that it's even with the TDC mark on the balancer. Now you can use your timing light to set timing. Just be sure to pull the SPOUT connector when you set timing. Set it to 10 degrees BTDC, tighten it all down, plug back in the SPOUT, and you should be ready to go.

Keeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I think i can figure it out from here.

but like i said i already put my finger in the hole and felt the compression of the cylinder. but then you have about 1/12 of a turn of play at tdc. and without a pointer i couldn't pin point the correct area. i do not have a timing light either. so its all touch and go with this.

what i really needed was a picture or description of where the pointer would be approx.

and i got the. thank you for the help. also the number one location is important because of the set up of the hall effect pickup. if you look at the vane wheel there are different size openings in the shutter wheel. those send the correct dwell and timing signals to the ecc. so it is important. the truck will run but it wont be running correctly. thats why i need to find the right tower on the cap.
11 o' clock would be the tower center between the two screw holes correct?

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
11 o' clock would be the tower center between the two screw holes correct?
I think that is about right. Mine has a mark on the cap for #1. #4 is not quite at 1 O'clock. Should get you close enough to run until you get a timing light. Oh wait. What if we're in different time zones? :headbang:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
msd makes timing tape thats pretty cheap. would be good to put some on when u find tdc

Keeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
msd makes timing tape thats pretty cheap. would be good to put some on when u find tdc
I did find it. i got the truck running too. found top dead center then lined up the dizzy. had it a lil off so i had to adjust it. but my idle runs high unless i advance it. i'll have to wait until i get to my buddy's shop and we can time it properly. but at least now i can drive it and its not collecting snow in the parking lot.

thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it!:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals