• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cap and rotor help

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Changed distributor cap and rotor and now truck don't want to run for more than 1 min.
Don't have no clue what to do next since this is the first time i have had this happen to me when changing a cap and rotor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Assuming they are the right cap and rotor (prolly wouldn't have fit too well otherwise) check your plug wires, make sure they are all on tight and in the correct order.

Did you do them in the truck, or pull the dis, you may not have it timed quite right if you pulled the stem out.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did not pull the dizzy out that would been to much for me to handle.
Switched everything over from cap to cap to make sure that i didn't get the wires mixed up and no it just don't want to run after i did that. thought it was the exhaust manifold gaskets leaking so i replaced them and still nothing.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wait.... pulling the dis out is too much, but you replaced your exhaust manifold gaskets? I pull my distributor every other week but I'm pointedly ignoring my leaking manifold gaskets because I don't want to deal with taking the manifolds off.

Anyyyyyyway........ double check them. Make sure they are in fact in the right order and all on tight. I've done that enough times to know how easy it is to get one on the wrong terminal or not down and clipped right. Even when you move them one at a time. Sit down with a diagram and a firing order and just double check.

If you don't find anything then....... well that's a problem for tomorrow.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did check and by using the tech library the firing order is wrong. and when switch the plug wires all i did was make not even start but back fire. then put them back now it sounds even worst then before i need this thing running before winter. Ended up having to put them on counter clock wise and not clock wise to get it to run.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Start from scratch. Pull all the wires off, take the cap off, pull the stem and plug #1, and spin the dis. Then follow these instructions:

Items needed: Timing light, basic hand tools, 1/2 wrench, spark plug socket.

1) Pull plug 1
2) pull distributor
3)stick finger in plug 1 hole and have assistant bump (not crank, BUMP) engine over until you feel a gust of air come out the hole. No, you won't get hurt doing this.
4) align timing marks on the crank balancer with the timing pointer.
5) set rotor just counter clockwise of the notch in the dis stem and put it back in (when fully seated the rotor should now sit roughly centered on the mark
6) clamp dis, reinstall plug, cap, and wires
7) fire the engine and time it.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't want to do that unless i have to. That will be my last option to do until then i will check the timing and see where it is at.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you have only taken the cap and rotor off and replaced them, and the engine ran fine before you did that, and doesn't now, then you DO have the plug wire order wrong. It is just that simple. Backfiring should tell you that your plugs are firing in the wrong order at the wrong time.

I have seen engines jump time before and do weird stuff like you're describing but I doubt that is the case here.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
find #1 on the dizzy about 11 oclock that wire goes to front passenger side. Going clockwise 1-4-2-5-3-6 on the cap passenger side 1-2-3 drivers side 4-5-6 front to rear. How old are the wires you could have a bad wire or two from pulling them off the cap only about 35 bucks for a new set well worth the investment getting it ready for winter and get a new pcv while your at it.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
Start from scratch. Pull all the wires off, take the cap off, pull the stem and plug #1, and spin the dis. Then follow these instructions:

1) Pull plug 1
2) pull distributor
3)stick finger in plug 1 hole and have assistant bump (not crank, BUMP) engine over until you feel a gust of air come out the hole. No, you won't get hurt doing this.
5) set rotor just counter clockwise of the notch in the dis stem and put it back in (when fully seated the rotor should now sit roughly centered on the mark
why go thru all that when he didnt pull the dis? Ive replaced my wires 3 or 4 times and never had to go thru all that.

Last edited:

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have only taken the cap and rotor off and replaced them, and the engine ran fine before you did that, and doesn't now, then you DO have the plug wire order wrong. It is just that simple. Backfiring should tell you that your plugs are firing in the wrong order at the wrong time.

I have seen engines jump time before and do weird stuff like you're describing but I doubt that is the case here.
I went by the tech library and put them in that order then it started to back fire.
Put it back the way that i had it and know it runs but seems like it don't have any power.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
im just talking out my arse, but...
is your DC on the dist. secure and even? is the coil connection (?) to the dist on tight? is the rotor on tight?
when you pulled the plug wires, did you pull them by the boot or the cable? are your plugs loose?
is it possible to put the cap on backwards?:icon_confused:

if any of the wires are loose on the plug when the are connected, you have spread the connector in side of the wires. wont get a good flow of electricity to the plug.

i went and had my exhaust manifold problem fixed. the guys forgot to plug in one wire and the thing ran like crap. plugged it together and it ran like a bat out of hell.

Last edited:

Keeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

1) Pull plug 1
2) pull distributor
I had to replace my distributor and now i'm having trouble aligning the timing.
What do i do if i don't have a timing pointer?
and i can't get it from a junk yard i don't have one here and i have no money. i spent what i had on the new distributor. been trying to get this truck running since last week. every time i try to turn it over after getting everything lined up (or so i think) it backfires.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and i can't get it from a junk yard i don't have one here and i have no money. i spent what i had on the new distributor. been trying to get this truck running since last week. every time i try to turn it over after getting everything lined up (or so i think) it backfires.
I had this exact problem a long time ago. assuming you have the plug wires correct, what I did was stab and restab the Dissy one tooth at a time until I found the right spot. If it's kinda close, but not quite, and gets worse going in one direction, then go back the other way..... I finely figured out I started 180 degrees off. I was very inexperienced and had no one to tell me anything.

That's why I REALLY like this forum!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You NEED a timing light to get it set right. If it's backfiring, you're way off. Timing lights are pretty cheap, ask around, maybe someone will let you borrow one or something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals