• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 tow rating

tmar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I know this has been hashed over a million times, and the answer is probably hidden .somewhere in the archives, but it is still a little confusing. I have 87 B2, 2wd, AT and 2.9 v6 w/140k on speedo. runs good, uses no oil, etc. manual says two different Owners specs under tow ratings. mine is 3.73 axle. on page 157, max GCWR is either 5500 lbs, or 8,000 lbs. seems 5500 is low, and 8,000 too high. I just weighed my truck and trailer at local, certified scales. truck, w/10 gal fuel, opt HD front bumper, few tools , me and spare weighs 3950 lbs. trailer is 1994 Sunline 16', all tanks empty, battery, propane tank and roof AC in place, weighs 2330. total weight 6280. if I am to believe the first figure of 5500 for GCWR, then I am over already. truck has 235x75x15 tires also. I have replace radiator w/ `1992 Explorer . what a difference! my veh grunts and strains on slight hills, but will do it in Drive, TC locked most of time. just towed trailer back from Charlotte, NC, 300 miles, seemed to do OK. I am just worried about putting wife, dog, clothing, other camping goodies, in veh. I will keep all tanks empty, limit groceries and supplies, but still might be in trouble. If someone would explain the correct GCWR for me, it will help me make decision on what to do. thanks to all.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The GCWR rating varies depending on equipment. The highest GCWRs are with an automatic trans, 4.10 axle ratio and 2WD (4x4 takes away about 200lbs due to weight of added parts). Lowest GCWR is with 3.45 gears and stickshift.

The 235/75R15 tires are what's killing yours the most. If you were to go back to the stock size (P205/75R15), it'll dramatically lessen the load on the engine (alternatively you can regear your axles to compensate for the larger tires by going to a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio).

tmar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I suspected this was much of the problem. Damn, I just bought the tires. Look good on B2, also. Thanks so much for info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals