• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5-speed shifting problem

Enzo_Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an '04 with the 4.0L SOHC, had a shifting problem crop up on me at random.

It will NOT go into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or R when sitting still but it will slide right into 4th. If I start the truck in gear, I have excellent clutch pedal pressure. The problem is that when I push the pedal down and try to shift, it is like the pedal isn't even hooked to anything. I have to no-clutch (I make sure I am competent at doing this with every manual vehicle I own for this reason) and it shifts a lot harder than if I were to no-clutch under regular circumstances.

I recently (last weekend) replaced the clutch with a Luk, sanded down the flywheel, tossed in a new slave, and bled the system. The truck drove just fine until today, when I experienced the exact same problem. My first instinct was to check the fluid, of which not even a drop was missing from the reservoir and there were no leaks under the truck.

During the clutch replacement I had to remove the exhaust and started the truck with the O2 sensors unhooked, which obviously triggered the CEL. The CEL was there this morning but was off when I started the truck to leave work today. Also it is now idling low (500-700RPM) even when it is in neutral and the clutch pedal is not pushed in. Don't know if this is related, but low idle in neutral doesn't make sense and I have no idea what would have made the CEL reset yet my radio clock is reading the correct time.

Am I looking at an internal seal leak in the master cylinder with an unrelated timing problem and computer funkiness?:icon_confused:

Enzo_Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Installed the new master cylinder, didn't solve anything. Any help here?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Post in the transmission forum.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
for some codes like with the o2 sensors if it doesn't detect anything wrong for a certain amount of time or starts it will reset the CEL because there is no longer a problem. I had it happen with an EGR code. Disconnect the battery step on the brake pedal a couple times and leave it for abit unhooked. then rehook it up. this will clear the parameters on the computer and will make it go through checks as you drive it around and make sure your systems is good and might take care of your idle. Does it run really rough when at low idle. It might be the IAC. As for the clutch sounds like the slave cylinder went out i couldn't get my truck into any gears but that was after drag racing.........bye bye slave cylinder.

Enzo_Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for some codes like with the o2 sensors if it doesn't detect anything wrong for a certain amount of time or starts it will reset the CEL because there is no longer a problem. I had it happen with an EGR code. Disconnect the battery step on the brake pedal a couple times and leave it for abit unhooked. then rehook it up. this will clear the parameters on the computer and will make it go through checks as you drive it around and make sure your systems is good and might take care of your idle. Does it run really rough when at low idle. It might be the IAC. As for the clutch sounds like the slave cylinder went out i couldn't get my truck into any gears but that was after drag racing.........bye bye slave cylinder.
Slave is brand new with clutch, not even 200 miles!:icon_confused:

So far I have replaced: slave, master, and clutch. I bled the system an flushed the transmission fluid today as well, no luck. I'm starting to suspect a shift linkage, I have completely normal clutch pressure at all times and the clutch is obviously doing something because it doesn't even hint at stalling at a light.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
not sure than man, hope you find out wuts up

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does the clutch pedal feel like it has pressure when you push on it, or does it feel like it is still disconnected from anything?

Enzo_Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It turned out to be air in the hydraulic system. If I was going to do it over again, I would do a bench bleed on the master. One of the bends in the piping can trap air, which is what happened to me. Thanks to the guy from the local transmission shop, I'll buy him a six-pack of his choice if I ever see him.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals