• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd gen lift to fit 31s

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I keep finding conflicting information

I bought a 1990 Ranger 2.9L 4x4. It came with 245x45x20 tires on it. I'm wanting to turn the truck into a mild mud toy while still being able to haul stuff on the streets. Its not a DD, but I don't want it too crazy.

My vision for the truck includes a mild lift and some 31" all terrains or mud tires. I would like to avoid trimming or cutting the fenders. while having minimal to no rubbing

Anyways, I was thinking skyjackers 2" lift coils and explorer leafs or belltech shackles would be enough to clear 31s. However I have not been able to find a solid answer on this and their website does not say either. Can anyone confirm if 31s will fit on a 90 4x4 with a 2" lift and no fender trimming?
Id be kinda upset if I spent all the time and money doing this 2" lift only to find out 31s still don't fit.

or would it be better to just go with the dufftuff stage one 3" lift kit which the website states will clear 31s with no fender trimming. (Im not particularly a fan of replacing all the brackets in this kit for such a mild lift)

TLDR: 2" skyjacker coils enough to clear 31s on 90 4x4, or just go with dufftuff 3" kit to be safe?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I had an 89 STX 2.9L and the 10.5 x 31" tires fit it fine. The front tires would rub the frame slightly when turning at full lock with the stock wheels. Fenders were no problem. It was not enough of a problem to do anything about. My STX had the factory lift (Sport Rider suspension) and it was only about 1.5" higher than a standard 4WD. So, a 2" lift should work with 10.5 x 31" tires. If you have wheels with less back spacing, you should not have any problem with the tires touching the frame but you could run into a problem with touching the fenders (or not).

The only time I had a problem with the rear tires is when I was driving fast up a fairly steep sandy incline and didn't realize there was a slight drop-off near the top. The truck went airborne and when it came down the tire rubbed the front of the left fender and popped a rivet on the fender flare. No damage other than the rivet. I had a fairly heavy shell on the back that probably contributed to pushing the body down further. The tires were aired down a lot too. I don't know if that contributed to the rubbing.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Your plan is fine, I ran through a set of 31's on my '90 Ranger with stock 15" aluminum 10 hole wheels with stock suspension up front and Explorer leaves in back, very minor rubbing... I do drive harder now, but only have ~5" lift and 35" tires with minor fender trimming...

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had an 89 STX 2.9L and the 10.5 x 31" tires fit it fine. The front tires would rub the frame slightly when turning at full lock with the stock wheels. Fenders were no problem. It was not enough of a problem to do anything about. My STX had the factory lift (Sport Rider suspension) and it was only about 1.5" higher than a standard 4WD. So, a 2" lift should work with 10.5 x 31" tires. If you have wheels with less back spacing, you should not have any problem with the tires touching the frame but you could run into a problem with touching the fenders (or not).

The only time I had a problem with the rear tires is when I was driving fast up a fairly steep sandy incline and didn't realize there was a slight drop-off near the top. The truck went airborne and when it came down the tire rubbed the front of the left fender and popped a rivet on the fender flare. No damage other than the rivet. I had a fairly heavy shell on the back that probably contributed to pushing the body down further. The tires were aired down a lot too. I don't know if that contributed to the rubbing.
Your plan is fine, I ran through a set of 31's on my '90 Ranger with stock 15" aluminum 10 hole wheels with stock suspension up front and Explorer leaves in back, very minor rubbing... I do drive harder now, but only have ~5" lift and 35" tires with minor fender trimming...
Thank yall so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers fellas! :icon_cheers:
I was going to use a stock set of wheels if I can find a 15x7 set that clears the front hubs,(centerbore diameter is a whole other issue with stock wheels) But I mostly see 15x7s of 00+ rangers for sale locally and cheap. So it looks like most likely Ill be picking up some 15x8 trail masters or pro comps with 3.75" Back spacing.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Here's my truck with explorer leaves and 2 inch coil spacers.

Tires are 31x10.50 on 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have an 87 XLT, no lift, running 31s with minor trimming and minimal rub, old at full lock turning left. 2nd gens had bigger wheel openings, so you should be able to run 31s with no lift.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
31s will rub the bottom rear fender corners on 2nd gens. I installed the STX High Rider lift parts on my '91 2.3 4x4 and almost any kind of flexing while turning the 31s rub. On the street its fine.

1st picture is my old '92 2.3 4x4 with 100% stock suspension, 31x10.5xr15 Duratracs. Had to roll the bottom corners of the fenders in for clearance.

2nd picture is my current '91 2.3 4x4 with the STX lift and explorer 8.8. Same rims and tires as previous picture.

3rd picture is same tires & suspension on 15x7 FX4 Lvl II Alcoa rims

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I Just want to thank everyone again! Everything in this thread was spot on!
Stock height 4x4 rubbed on the rear of the front fenders with 31x10.50r15s. 2" lift and it clears no problem. Now it only rubs under a descent amount of flex.

Pic of results. 2" skyjacker coils, belltech 6400 shackles, new shocks, and 31x10.50 mounted on 15x8 with 3.75" B.S.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, nice ride. It’s got me thinking about bead blasting/painting my ’92 and giving her 2” of lift as well. I don’t go in for anything crazy (she’s a DD), but 31s would be nice!

PS - Is that a Toyota behind you with Texas plates (lol)? Looks EXACTLY like my friend Kim’s old neighborhood in Austin, though I see you’re in H-Towne.

Last edited:

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, nice ride. It’s got me thinking about bead blasting/painting my ’92 and giving her 2” of lift as well. I don’t go in for anything crazy (she’s a DD), but 31s would be nice!

PS - Is that a Toyota behind you with Texas plates (lol)? Looks EXACTLY like my friend Kim’s old neighborhood in Austin, though I see you’re in H-Towne.
Do it! it looks so much better. And it still rides really nice with the 2" coil springs and shackles. Though in all honesty, I may drop to 30x9.50r15s when I buy new tires just to give it a little more room to flex.

Yes that's my roommates 2016 corolla behind the truck. its soul suckingly slow, but its a good reliable economy car.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Had a 4" lift , good clearance for 31's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals