• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger STX Spare tire holder ?

raggedyann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
can someone link me to a picture or explain what its suppose to have that holds the spare under the frame ?
anyways mine don't have anything.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the older spare tire carrier wasn't a very good design, i removed mine a long time ago and keep the tire in the bed. it's essentially a "T" shape with one bar going side to side, bolted to the frame on both sides, and another bar going from the center of the first bar to the rear of the truck. that bar is hinged on the first bar, and bolts to a bracket at the rear of the truck. the idea is that you detach the end from the bracket at the rear, then pivot the tire down. it's a little cumbersome to load up the tire and store it away, plus a trailer hitch will get in the way of the hardware at the rear of the truck.

i guess ford had a spare tire carrier that put the tire in the bed on the drivers side, standing up at the front corner of the bed. it was used on trucks that had dual fuel tanks, but ive never seen one myself. oversize tires don't really fit there, but for smaller tires, i think its a much better option than the other style.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, they bend easily, and once they do it makes them useless. I got a little kink in my original one and it put it so out of what that I had to deflate the tire to get it in and get the holder latched.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine rusted in half... I now have one I made that carries the tire in the bed on the pass side rear

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals