Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Boyelroy2000

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Boyelroy2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire size vs gearing

My 1997 2wd has the 2.3 , 5 speed, and 3.73 rear end gears. I plan on leveling it and fitting larger wheels and tires.As of right now it is sitting on 225/70/R14 tires. If I make the switch should I move up to the 4.10 rear end gearing? I'm considering moving to a 235/75/15 or 245/75/15. I'm leaning towards the 4.10 gears but I don't want to completely axe my gas mileage. I just want a second opinion on this.
Boyelroy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Well, do you ever have to go uphill?

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

Bigger tires and changing ride height, which affects aerodynamics will have a slight negative effect on gas mileage no matter which gears you run. Driveability is what you get by changing gears. Being able to keep your engine in a decent rpm range while going uphill or towing is something most of us like.

Go to the "how to tech" page and follow the links to articles about gear ratios, tire sizes, etc. There is a cool chart there that gives good comparisons of engine rpm vs gear ratio and tire size. That will give you a good idea of what gear ratio will keep your engine rpm in the right range. You don't have to guess.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Last edited by ericbphoto; 07-14-2018 at 06:41 AM.
ericbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
ericbphoto
Premium Member

My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

delete

Last edited by ericbphoto; 07-14-2018 at 06:41 AM.
ericbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Boyelroy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbphoto View Post
Bigger tires and changing ride height, which affects aerodynamics will bigger have a slight negative effect on gas mileage no matter which heard you run. Driveability is what you get by changing gears. Being able to keep your engine in a decent tomorrow range while going uphill or towing is something most of us like.

Go to the "how to tech" page and follow the links to articles about gear ratios, tire sizes, etc. There is a cool chart there that gives good comparisons of engine room vs gear ratio and tire size. That will give you a good idea of what gear ratio will keep your engine rpm in the right range. You don't have to guess.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
I understand the fact that my efficiency will be slightly downgraded by larger tires and differing aerodynamics, but I was really hoping to find some info on the gas mileage I could expect with such a change. If I opt for the 235/75s the truck would essentially act like a 3.45 (3.41 was the true ratio) which is perfectly driveable in my experience (My buddy has an 89 Ranger with 225/70/15 with a 3.45 rear end and it does fine). If I go to the 245/75 then I'll definitely opt for the 4.10 gearing. Thanks for the help though man!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Go here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-...er_tires.shtml

Plug in your numbers

If you need diameter in inches go here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Yes your tire choice would set 3.73 actual ratio at 3.45, a change to 4.10 would put you back at actual 3.82 so Performance and MPG would remain "close", as would speedometer, the larger tires are 1" wider, so more friction and heavier which drops MPG a bit, also harder on the brakes so slow down heavier wheels
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
ericbphoto
Premium Member

gas mileage numbers are the hardest to estimate. It doesn't sound like your proposed changes will result in what I would consider a large change in mpg. It might not even be enough to notice unless you have some really accurate way of collecting exact data.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to beholdkimcrwbr1 is a splendid one to behold

You should be OK i believe you can get a different gear for the speedo senser to avoid the blue light special?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Boyelroy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbphoto View Post
gas mileage numbers are the hardest to estimate. It doesn't sound like your proposed changes will result in what I would consider a large change in mpg. It might not even be enough to notice unless you have some really accurate way of collecting exact data.
Well that's a good thing. Economy is important on my tight college budget haha.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
Boyelroy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
You should be OK i believe you can get a different gear for the speedo senser to avoid the blue light special?
I'm definitely going to have to check because I don't want a speedo reading 10 mph off lmao