• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what weight oil

JJONES8527

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ok i have a 2000 ford ranger with a 3.0 and it has 160000 miles on it what weight oil should i use for the oil change. should i go thicker than it calls for or not??

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i would use the o/e reccomendation i believe its 5w30

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if the filler cap say 5-20, use 5-20. otherwise use 5-30.

going thicker will only serve to lower your fuel economy.

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've even heard that going 10 30 isn't bad (but i live in California so I don't have to worry about the weather and engine has 90K miles on it)

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well i have 278600 on mine, oil pump went out on it finally, ive used 530 1030 and 1040, doesnt seem to make a dif, but if its cold outside always use the 5 20 or 30 whichever yours calls for mine calls for 530, the lower number is startup viscosity, after that it warms up to the thinner 30 weight viscosity, the 40 weight i found actually caused a loss in oil pressure on my guage, so i went back to the thicker 530, then i couldnt get 530 in castrol gtx like i use (dad always put pennzoil in it and i didnt like the way it looked when i drained it) so i got the 1030, it was summer and it didnt drag the starter but when we got a good ole louisiana cold snap i noticed it was a lil slower starting even tho i had a good hot battery. my advice always stick to the oe viscosity. if your running a synthetic stay that way, if your running mineral oil and are thinking of going synthetic dont go mineral then syn youll have seal trouble, go mineral to semisyn or blend as its sometimes called and check seals, if no problems go full syn. i didnt see any dif performance between reg oil and high mileage oil and even had a manufacturer tech tell us its the same stuff dif bottle b4 if you have a question about that too. just stay away from quaker state as it was designed yrs ago to gunk up to protect aluminum blocks and still does which is never good for the oil pump!

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With 130,000 on your motor in a warm climate I would recommend 10w30 or higher.
You really need to test it for yourself. Too thin will cause oil consumption, If you have no problems with oil consumption, don't go thicker.
Too thick will cause lack of lubrication so, the thinner, the better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals