• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end rebuild.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what do I need to get as far as parts to rebuild the dana 28? I was planning.on going sas before then, but financially it's not possible right now. So does anybody have a parts list of what I'm gonna need? Thanks

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well, what needs rebuilding? Ball joints? bushings? tie rod ends? brakes? wheel bearings? Most auto stores should carry parts still, even if you need to order them.

If you're going for a complete and full rebuild, I'd find a nicer/non-abused looking Dana 35 front end with the same gears and decent looking brakes and swap that right in. Grab the steering parts for that matter too if they look clean. Driveshaft would need shortened, but shortening isn't much of an issue. I bet you'd be out of it all for about $250 and a dedicated weekend, with a vastly superior front end and better brakes.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The brakes are good. Bearings are fine, but might just replace while I'm there. I don't really want to go find a d35, I'm trying to save up for a sas. Hence I don't want to rip anything out, if I don't have to.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
In that case be stingy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Replace the parts you absolutely have to with cheap stuff and pocket the rest of the cash toward the swap.

ranger_steve

Reaction score
From PEI, living in Grande Prairie Alberta
Vehicle Year
1993, 2007
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What captain ledd said. I just finished rebuilding my d35 in may with all new: wheel bearings, tre's, rebuilt diff, new u joints, c-clip eliminator, washer lift, ball joints, camber bushings, new coil mounting hardware, etc.. All around 6-700 bucks (labor was all my dad and I). Only to move across the country from pei to Alberta, Canada in August. Now I've got an 07 fx4 gathering parts for a d30 SAS. Didn't really think that through haha an extra 600 for my SAS parts would have been nice

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thing is, it really needs to be rebuilt soon. Also, I need to put tires on it and I can't align the truck with how it is now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Like others have said, figure out what's wrong and replace only that. If you don't know how to figure it out then start another thread and ask that question. There's some pretty good write-ups in the tech section too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals