• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Valve body gasket

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed I should have posted this question here so I copy and pasted.

hello everyone.

i have a 2002 mazda b3000 3.0 v6 auto transmission. my truck is starting to have some hard shifts and i'm guessing it's the valve body gasket. i'm not mechanically inclined so i was thinking of taking it somewhere to get it done. how much does it usually cost to get it replaced? also, what else would you recommend replacing at the same time? i live in denver, co if that helps anyone.

thanks in advance!

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
check you fluid level first. what type of shifting is it doing and what shifts, p-d, 1-2,2-3,3-4,p-r???

firm, fast, hard shifts are a good thing, it tells you your line pressure is good, no slipping, clutches and bands are still in spec.

now if there is a clunk or knock durring the shifts it could be a motor mount and or trans mount, or a real sloppy rear end.

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
check you fluid level first. what type of shifting is it doing and what shifts, p-d, 1-2,2-3,3-4,p-r???

firm, fast, hard shifts are a good thing, it tells you your line pressure is good, no slipping, clutches and bands are still in spec.

now if there is a clunk or knock durring the shifts it could be a motor mount and or trans mount, or a real sloppy rear end.
fluid is good, its doing a weird shift during 2 and 3rd gear if i press on the gas a certain way. if i accelerate slowly and smoothly, it wont do it.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
ok it sounds like you have the dredded 2-3 flair up.

does the engine rpms flair up shifting from 2nd into 3rd?

some people belive its the VB gaskets and or seporator plate and in some cases its true, but i have herd romors from some ford trans techs its the intermedate servo shaft guide housing being worn and allowing blow by. i have not found the sleave kit yet, but im still looking...

also i have herd putting a line pressure booster on the pressure solenoid, its cheep and easy and pressure is always good.

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not exactly sure what it means by flair up... I noticed that it does it when the engne is colder and not when it's warm after driving like 15 mins or so. It seems like it's doing it when it's warm, but not as hard.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Clogged filter, cold fluid is thicker than when its to temp. makes it hard to pull through the filter.

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I still have to take the pan off I assume?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
yes, and be shure to have a catch can ready...

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be worth changing the gaskets?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
you can do it if it makes you feel better, its just more work for you to do under the truck.

if you do it be shure to put the bolts back in the same spots.

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
usually, how long does the valve body gasket last? i know it depends on how you drive, but is there an estimated time frame? i think i might just do the trans filter. do they usually do it with the transmission flush or is that separate? the owner of the house wont like it if i make a huge mess in the garage... haha

yamag7d8

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced the transmission filter and when the engine is cold it does the flair up when I accelerate from a turn from a stop....

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
how do you check you fluid?

to temp, engine running, and in park right?

did you pit new O rings on the filter?

CaptainRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ill say this....you lucked out living in Colorado. I just moved to Alabama, and trying to have that done is Misorry. Tried to do it myself first, and was sold the wrong ones. Couldn't drive it taken apart, and was leavibg town the next day so scheduled to have it towed to a shop and left keys under the seat. Came home a wrk later and theyd lost the keys, didn't do the work, AND wanted a towing fee. Had to steal my own truck, have keys programmed ($$$), walk 8 miles and pay for ANOTHER set of gaskets from same place, did it myself....now I'm missing 2nd gear. Don't ever break down here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals