Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Lighting/Illumination

Notices

Lighting/Illumination This forum is for headlamps, auxillary lighting, interior lighting, and LED conversions.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
AdirondackRanger

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: u-pull it parts are the best
My credo: I brake for leaves that could be frogs
AdirondackRanger is on a distinguished road
Default 99 to 88 front marker light/turn signal conversion?

88 body w/ 99 wiring.

I've been able to convert the 99 tail wiring from 3 bulb to 2 bulb.

I'm onto the front now...

Looking for ideas on how to remove 1 of the double filament bulbs/sockets from both the driver and passenger side.. without having the relay flash like crazy???
AdirondackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Simple solution would be to get an LED load equalizer and put it in place of the missing bulb.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Turn signal Flashers(relays) use a bi-metal bar the heats up and bends, breaking electrical contact, then cools off and reconnects, on/off, on/off, on/off, ect...........

The LOAD(watts/amps) of the light bubs is what heats up the bi-metal bar.
When a bulb fails there is LESS load so no flash, doesn't heat up enough
When you add trailer lights, more bulbs, it can flash faster, a higher load so heats up faster

When you change to different bulbs you change the load, so you either need to change the flasher type or mimic the previous load, i.e. add resistors

Last edited by RonD; 07-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post

When a bulb fails there is LESS load so no flash, doesn't heat up enough
When you add trailer lights, more bulbs, it can flash faster, a higher load so heats up faster
That's backwards. When one of the two bulbs fails there is more load. Load is resistance and bulbs are resistance in parallel in a turn signal circuit.

50 ohm, and 50 ohms in parallel is 25 ohms to ground.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
RonD

RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Oops, yes, that is backwards

EDIT
Actually no it is not, was in a hurry before.

Yes resistance is lower with 2 or 4 bulbs in parallel but current flow is higher, and current flow is the Load that heats up the flasher
When a bulb drops out resistance goes up but current flow/load goes down so flasher stops flashing

When you add more bulbs in parallel, resistance drops again but Load increases so faster heat up/flashing

Last edited by RonD; 07-23-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
AdirondackRanger

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: u-pull it parts are the best
My credo: I brake for leaves that could be frogs
AdirondackRanger is on a distinguished road

I'd very much like to remove the wires from the harness. If I can. So really all I would need is a weaker flasher unit? I've replaced one before when running a trailer set-up because it was too much for the stock unit..

What a pain..
AdirondackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
RonD

Google: 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights

From 1st post, you want to remove some bulbs entirely, if so replace the bulbs with these