• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I know you ford guys are gonna cringe...

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
But my tow rig is a 1995 Chevy 1500.

And its a damn good one too.

It tows my heavy ass camper up north every year.

It towed my brothers girlfriend's sebring out of a ditch last night.

It tows scrap vehicles around the yard.

and still will rock on the freeway.

I may be a fan of ford. But chevy gets my vote on towing. :icon_thumby:

Oh and i just got some 33' Mud tires for it. XD

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't knock it, I had a 83 s10 damn thing wouldn't die! I sold it to a friend who drove the piss out of it and then sold it to a guy who totaled it. Oh well.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
Yep, Its a fine running 5.7l I think it has like 120k on it.

This truck will never die. flowmaster mufflers. Holly Wires. BFG Mud Terrain T/A's

4byranger2000xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My tow rig is also a silverado 1500. Best dang truck I have probably ever owned. My Silverado has 200K+ on its 5.3 and it still runs great without burning any oil. I have towed everything from my quad on a little 4x8 tilt to my 73/80 mud truck on 44's on a equipment trailer. I can tow allot with the old girl, and still hold 60 with the AC on and the cruise set. Too bad it gets ten miles to the gallon.
View attachment 3246

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
no offense 4byranger, but the 305's are junk and get terrible mileage. 350's are where its at

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
no offense 4byranger, but the 305's are junk and get terrible mileage. 350's are where its at

Shut up. The guy seems to be having pretty good luck with that junk 305 if he's go 200+ on the clock.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
somebody has been out of the chevy loop. THey dont put the 5.7 vortech, intake manifold leakin motor in the 99-up 1500/2500 or the 01-up 2500hd/3500. And if you think the 5.3 gets bad milage then you got some issues. they will pull 20 mpg in a ex cab short bed all day long (with proper maintance) and have no prob reaching 200+ miles and keep goin

Personally im partial to my 02 duramax. has 155k and makes 465hp/930tq. She pulls anything i need, beats jsut about any car, and its just all around fun.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Meh. My brother used to pull 26k pound (minimum) manure tankers around at 55 MPH with his 03 6.0 F250. And those tires under that tank are huge, making them hard to turn.

I've seen 1/2 Chevy's squatting worse pulling manure pumps than what my Ranger does. The one truck couldn't even get the jack out from under the tongue. The one farmer couldn't believe I was pulling a pump home from a job with my truck.

Yea, I'm a Ford man. I've said my piece. Sure would love to have a Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gasser, though.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Meh. My brother used to pull 26k pound (minimum) manure tankers around at 55 MPH with his 03 6.0 F250. And those tires under that tank are huge, making them hard to turn.

I've seen 1/2 Chevy's squatting worse pulling manure pumps than what my Ranger does. The one truck couldn't even get the jack out from under the tongue. The one farmer couldn't believe I was pulling a pump home from a job with my truck.

Yea, I'm a Ford man. I've said my piece. Sure would love to have a Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gasser, though.
you just compared a diesel to a SBC 350? thats not fair.

i like fords, i like chevy's, and thats about it. i think i would rather have a 5.7, 5300, or 6000 vortec over a ford triton or earlier though.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you just compared a diesel to a SBC 350? thats not fair.

i like fords, i like chevy's, and thats about it. i think i would rather have a 5.7, 5300, or 6000 vortec over a ford triton or earlier though.
Plus I call BS on the weight unless he was doing 10 mph TOPS just around the farm in which case it isn't that impressive unless you are impressed by people being too cheap to buy the right tool for the job.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I think i would rather have a 5.7, 5300, or 6000 vortec over a ford triton or earlier though.
I don't know, the 3 valve 6.8 Triton V10 with its 4.16" stroke makes for one heck of a towpig motor as far as gassers go. If I remember right, it makes 400+ ft-lbs from 1500-5000 RPM, peaking at close to 500 ft-lbs.

The GM gassers are also great motors, but they have a much larger bore and shorter stroke than the tritons. This makes them great in an application like the silverado SS or the pontiac GTO.

But for pulling large trailers, the long-stroke tritons win.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Plus I call BS on the weight unless he was doing 10 mph TOPS just around the farm in which case it isn't that impressive unless you are impressed by people being too cheap to buy the right tool for the job.
Call BS, doesn't affect me. I wouldn't come on to some website and spout lies for no reason. People would rent the tanks, he would deliver it.

Now he has a JCB tractor that does 42MPH, much better towing with that!

4byranger2000xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya mine is the 5.3 which is the 325 CI, not the 5.0 305 CI. And even the 305 was a good engine as long as you didn't expect huge power or great gas mileage.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual
EASY EASY EASY.

Chill out guys.

Arent we all just big kids playing with trucks anyway??

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know, the 3 valve 6.8 Triton V10 with its 4.16" stroke makes for one heck of a towpig motor as far as gassers go. If I remember right, it makes 400+ ft-lbs from 1500-5000 RPM, peaking at close to 500 ft-lbs.

The GM gassers are also great motors, but they have a much larger bore and shorter stroke than the tritons. This makes them great in an application like the silverado SS or the pontiac GTO.

But for pulling large trailers, the long-stroke tritons win.
Well, I do agree a little. However, the 6.0 GM engine has a good amount of power and torque. Certainly a Hemi-killer at the truck pulls around here in the Misfit class.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals