• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice progress, Jeff. Seats look great...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Nice progress, Jeff. Seats look great...

SVT
Thanks Rick, still trying to sort out the AC issues. The compressor won't kick on at all unless I jump it but my wiring appears to be correct. As you stated I believe my combination should be a plug and play with no revisions. Just curious, when the compressor is engage, what should the low side pressure be on average, what should the high side pressure be on average? I know it varies with the ambient temp just trying to see where this one falls. With the truck off the pressure equalizes to about 100 on the low side and 100 on the high side.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
35 to 38 on the low side and 190 to 210 high make decent ball park targets for R134a a/c.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
35 to 38 on the low side and 190 to 210 high make decent ball park targets for R134a a/c.
Thanks Win,

I will double check those target numbers with the compressor jumped and running. I got your PM, that sounds like a plan.

Jeff

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Ac pressures depend on the outside temperature. Albeit win is correct, don't take those numbers to heart. A good functioning system should have about a 30 degree drop in temperature. Say it's 90 outside, it should have a 60 degree vent temperature in the vehicle.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I haven't had a chance to assemble any new updates this week. I am still working on the interior but did manage to get the AC operational just last night with a lot of help from a couple friends. Thank you very much to Win ((fellow V8 Ranger owner), Steve (Auto Dynamics), and all the guys at Advance Auto Parts for putting up with me.

I will probably start back early next week with more updates as the project closes in on completion. Part of the issue this week was the 98 Ranger failing three counties away from home during the work day. It turned out to be a fuel pump but that didn't make the second half of Thursday any better. After another driver came to my rescue the truck was towed to Largo Florida and scheduled for repair. That left today with only one option for work, drive the new 99!!! : )

I left the house with 26 miles on the odometer and drove it another 223 miles, I now have 249 miles racked up. I averaged 17.6 MPG up and down US19 from St. Pete Beach to Homosassa and back with the AC running the entire time. I think the engine should loosen up as the odometer creeps up into the 2000-5000 mile range. I feel pretty confident that with a little more tuning and drive time I should be close to 20-22 MPG. Here is a photo of the truck at the end of a very rain filled work day in down town St Pete at the very last stop.

99 Ranger, First day at work!!!

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome build.

I appreciate your attention to detail and organization in getting this truck done.

I looks very understated, and the devil is in the details.

Well done sir.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Awesome build.

I appreciate your attention to detail and organization if getting this truck done.

I looks very understated, and the devil is in the details.

Well done sir.
"Understated", that sums it up pretty well and is exactly what I was hoping for when I started the build. It doesn't look much different at first glance from your everyday 4.0 Ranger. But under the first layer of skin it starts to look a bit different. : )

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jeff, As much work as you have put into that little truck, I hate to see it on the street, I guess that was the plan from the start. I dare say its the best Ranger Ever.

Happy to hear you got the A/C problems fixed. Did you have to replace the A/C compressor, was the orifice clean, or did you find any debris?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Jeff, As much work as you have put into that little truck, I hate to see it on the street, I guess that was the plan from the start. I dare say its the best Ranger Ever.

Happy to hear you got the A/C problems fixed. Did you have to replace the A/C compressor, was the orifice clean, or did you find any debris?
Hey Bob, good to hear from you. I know what you mean about the street. The first day was a complete wash out as far as rain goes. Largo Florida got 4 inches of rain from 3:00am until 6:30am that day. I was in it almost all day with the little black truck. It sure looked different when it came home that evening.

I replaced every piece of the AC after the first collection of new pieces were installed. The condenser, evaporator, and accumulator I replaced three times. Win got everything to seal up and hold pressure for me just in the nick of time. No debris in the orifice tube, it was as clean as new. But as a safety precaution I swapped it all out. You know how it goes, Florida is just like Texas, got to have the AC.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Basically, this is the SHO Ranger that Ford should have built and sold, but never did.

Little brother to the F-150 Lightning.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The interior is almost done but the last few days have been moving slow. I decided to take tonight off as I am just to tired to do anything at all. I am going to type this out real quick and load it up then hit the hay. I will try to get some updated photos of the interior tomorrow night. Until then here are a few "action" shots of the truck hard at work in West Central Florida. As of today I have 904 miles logged with no issues. I am up to 17.99 MPG in city traffic with the AC running.

Almost every week day while working for the past three years I have driven by this Ranger in Palm Harbor. I always look at it and appreciate the hard work the owner puts forth keeping it clean. It is always there, never dirty, backed into the same spot day after day, week after week. I have told myself for several years, "some day when mine is done I am going to park next to it and snap a photo."

Entering Chassahowitzka Florida. Notice the sign, Bear habitat next 6 miles.

Parked in front of the now burned down Ramble Inn biker bar.

Now back to work!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I took some photos of the interior last night but none of them came out very well because of the flash. Our weather has been so bad this past week that there just hasn't been enough sunlight late in the day for good photos inside the truck.

I had to make a trip to Cape Coral Florida today for work. Can somebody say road trip? It was my first chance to get the Ranger out on the highway for an extended period. It ran good and was very happy between 70 and 90. Sorry about the gauge cluster, I am still sorting out a few issues there, warning lights and so forth. I think my tach and fuel gauge have given up the ghost!

I hope you guys enjoy the ride along videos. I had to cut the first one short when I rolled past the Florida Highway Patrol at 90.

http://youtu.be/5NsWwZqXEbw

http://youtu.be/O6LrjsIecl8

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I am making progress with the interior and the audio system but still haven't taken any good photos. To be honest the weather has been so bad, rain every day, all day, and I am a little embarrassed for letting the inside go a little bit. I promise I will get it cleaned up and snap some photos soon. The gauges cluster is back in, the steering column is buttoned up, and all most all the trim is installed. I think I still have the passenger side seat belt and the dome light to do. The audio wiring is done except for the main power to the amp and the ground for the amp. The head unit should be going in early next week.

I did manage to get a short video of the truck running 65 mph at 1600 RPM's. Nothing exciting, just a drive through old Florida on my way back from a Eustis run. I will be traveling to Port Saint Lucie Florida Sunday morning and will try to get some acceleration through the gears/video of that trip. The truck now has a little over 3100 miles.

http://youtu.be/wqdwoRihvz4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals