• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will we damage the 3.0 if we keep using it?

schultp

Reaction score
So, we bought this 1995 Ranger XLT a month ago. I know it either has a blown headgasket and/or a cracked cylinder and/or a leaking intake manifold. It loses coolant internally and has a white smoke from the exhaust.

I completely replaced the cooling system (new radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and several flushes). It now stays at about 50% on the temp gauge and runs great!

My son drives it to and from work and checks the radiator and tops it off every day. We lose about a quart of coolant every couple days.

I want to wait until he returns to college in September and then I'll pull the heads and take a look. But, my question is: Will we damage it further if we continue to let him drive it as his commuter vehicle?

TIA,

Paul.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Yes, the antifreeze is probably pouring into the crankcase, it is like mixing oil and water and will ruin your bearings. If you want to save the motor, stop driving it pronto.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, we bought this 1995 Ranger XLT a month ago. I know it either has a blown headgasket and/or a cracked cylinder and/or a leaking intake manifold. It loses coolant internally and has a white smoke from the exhaust.

I completely replaced the cooling system (new radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and several flushes). It now stays at about 50% on the temp gauge and runs great!

My son drives it to and from work and checks the radiator and tops it off every day. We lose about a quart of coolant every couple days.

I want to wait until he returns to college in September and then I'll pull the heads and take a look. But, my question is: Will we damage it further if we continue to let him drive it as his commuter vehicle?

TIA,

Paul.
Yes, If the engine is burning antifreeze it will cause major damage to the engine. Antifreeze in the cylinder will erode the cylinder,piston,plug and valves away. Antifreeze it the oilpan will strip the bearings and eventually cause seizure.
My suggestion is to drive it until it quits and then replace the engine with a good used one. Low mileage 3.0s are cheap in the junk yards. All vulcan 3.0s interchange. The old ones like mine don't crack heads... EVER.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with mutant pony except that I would replace it with a 4.go because mileage is about the same and the power gains you will have are great

schultp

Reaction score
Funny thing is that the oil has no frothy, milkshake look to it. It is almost as if there must be a direct leak of the coolant into a cylinder with no mixing of oil/coolant occurring. If this is true would it then be safer to keep driving??

Paul.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
still no cigar, yes, its a little better than going in the crankcase, but its still very hard on that one piston or pistons and its/their rings.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Answer is, it depends....

If it's just a bad head gasket, the engine could end up hydrolocked or warp a head.....not worth it to keep pushing it.

southernlifttruck41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why take the chance. You should be able to replace a head gasket in one day. Two at the most. Ground the truck for repairs. Why destroy a good moter if you don't have too. or '' Captain you have given her all she's got, She can't handle worp speed any longer" Scotty.....LOL

StevesRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 3.0 Flex fuel

I have been told that you cannot replace a 3.0 flex fuel with anything other than another 3.0 flexfuel. The vehicle mfg date is crucial too. Anyone know if this is correct? Also cannot find rebuild kits for this year,model,type. Please help.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to start a new thread instead of hijacking one. You will get better results.

schultp

Reaction score
It appears the coolant loss has subsided. I had run the engine and tried to 'burp' the system back when I had rebuilt the cooling system. I thought I had gotten all the air out. I'll keep track of the coolant but I now think we just needed to get all the air out of the system.

I did buy a gasket set on ebay. If there is even a small amount of coolant loss I'll replace the head gaskets.

Thanks for all the advice.

paul.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3.0's do trap air really bad. I've pulled the temp sensor and still had trapped air.
If it is not making a white cloud behind you of blowing the coolant out of the reservoir then you do not have a blown head gasket/cracked head.
If you continue to lose fluid then you need to pressure test the system and find out where the leak is.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I agree with mutant pony except that I would replace it with a 4.go because mileage is about the same and the power gains you will have are great
I really wish people would quit saying the gas mileage is the same.

MY 4.0 has NEVER gotten the 25mpg on the highway my 3.0l does!!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I really wish people would quit saying the gas mileage is the same.
that does get annoying.

call me when your 4x4 4.0 gets 24MPG without babying it (or at all).

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
if you want to park it do an oil change while the motor is warm to get the corrosive glycol out of the oil.then drain the water after firing it up for 30 seconds or so to circulate the fresh oil.if you wanted you could pull the plugs and squirt a small amount of oil in each cylinder also.if you pull the motor apart its a good investment to have the heads checked for cracks and straitness before putting it together so you dont waste your time and parts.if you arent going to fix it right away this is what i'de do.also sometimes a water leak is small enough that the engine heat evaporates the water and you dont notice it in the oil.the glycol still ruins the bearings and stuff though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals