• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Voltage problem

en4239

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a '92 ranger 3.0v6 and when its idling the voltage meter goes up and down slightly fluctuating. i can really notice it at night with the headlights on. i can see them and the instrument lights dim and get brighter. when the rpms are above 1,000 the meter stays still. could it be the alternator going bad?
it has a brand new battery so i know thats not the problem.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a '92 ranger 3.0v6 and when its idling the voltage meter goes up and down slightly fluctuating. i can really notice it at night with the headlights on. i can see them and the instrument lights dim and get brighter. when the rpms are above 1,000 the meter stays still. could it be the alternator going bad?
it has a brand new battery so i know thats not the problem.
As long as the idle voltage is greater than battery voltage, the charging system is working. You MAY have a blown diode in the rectifier, but it's not at all unusual to get low voltage conditions at idle. The charging system can last for a very long time with one blown diode (two is very often fatal, though).

Measure the idle voltage (with a real voltmeter), and if it's more than about 13V, it's good enough.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 4L alternator has a two plugs going 1nto it. The single wire one got loose a few times and gave the same signs as you describe.

en4239

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 4L alternator has a two plugs going 1nto it. The single wire one got loose a few times and gave the same signs as you describe.
ok ill make sure that they are tight

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals