• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a 5R55E to replace my crappy 4r55e...Good Idea?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I have a 96 with a 4R55E...and its crap. I drove it with 3.73s and heavy toyo open country's for over a year and as a result its pretty sloppy. It flares up between shifts and it just feels kinda weak, kinda like its slipping. I'm not a professional expert on trannys...so it may just be that my torque converter is shot (what are the symptoms of that?) but my tranny just seems to have seen better days. I have an opportunity to buy a tranny outta a 2007 4x4...should be a 5r55e right?...anyways this tranny has 55,000 kms and is only two years old...mine is way older with 190,000ish kms on it and it has seen better days. The 5R55E is stronger internally and I plan on having 35's and 4.56s for the rest of the trucks life so that would probably be a good idea. According to this thread it is possible and in fact not too hard:

<<<<<Link>>>>>

I can get the tranny for $350...think I should do it? Thanks

Also...if anyone has odne this swap and is knowledgeable...should I get the torque converter from the 5r55e or a new one from a 4r55e? Probably 5r55e eh? Also the engines must be both 4.0l correct? Even if I have a OHV and this truck would have a SOHC. Thanks!

Last edited:

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a new 5r55e torque converter, and i'm not sure but you might run into computer issues. You might be able to get a '97 ecu from a truck that had a 5r55e but thing is i'm not sure if the new trans is gonna be programed the same.

Last edited:

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Where is a good place to get a new torque converter from? Which one should I get? Theres different stall speeds and such (what does that even mean? Educate a newb...) Thanks for the response tho, I believe that it will not affect the computer, if you read the link it seems to suggest that the computer will be fine

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
stall speed is the engine rpm that the torque converter engages. for performance applications you can get tc's that engage at 2000,2500,3000 pretty much anything you can think of. I'd just stay with a stock stall for the best daily driving performance and reliability. The only thing I am wondering is if the newer trucks use a Trans control module instead of or inline with the ECM.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'll probably stay stock. Is there anyway I can improve my economy with a torque converter? Like ones that are best for fuel economy? Just saying...if I am doing this I might as well get the best one for me haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals