• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tightening lower ball joint nut...I can't!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I loosened my lower ball joint nuts when I did my camber bushings. Now I can't get them tight. I can't get my wrench in there to tighten it. Any ideas? Also the stud wants to turn. I loosened it with a cresent wrench but now I can't get it in there. I've tried everything? Is there a special too or something? I could get it tight if I could easily get the shaft out. What yall think?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Take and hit the bottom of the BJ with a BFH, then put a jack under the BJ and lift the truck up off the jackstands, then tighten. Turn the wheel to lock to aid in access to the nut...
SVT

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I tried that, but I just can't seem to get enough clearance to turn my wrench. Even with the wheel turned and the shaft turned just right. Cresent wrench won't work and I don't know what size it is for a wrench, I don't have the right size. Was thinking if I pulled the shaft I could get a socket on it. Alignment shop tried what he called w crows foot and he couldn't get enough clearance to tighten it eit

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IIRC the castle nut size it like 13/16or 15/16, but I had to tighten the top BJ to specs then the bottom would stay still and let you tighten it.

I will go outside in a few and check that size for you. I cant remember if i had to buy a new socket,That was a size 24 and i only have used it once

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet thanks. I think 13/16 was the only one I didn't have. Long story don't lend tools lol. That thing is a pita to get to.alignment shop couldn't even get anything in there to tighten it. I can't get the boxed end in ther and I think he used the open end. He seemed kinda retarded so I dunno how hard he tried. He prolly tried it with the tire on and it off the ground. I got the pass side tight but can't get in there on the drivers. Even tried some vice grips

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You had the shaft out right.??(the one that goes to the hub?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to pull the axle shaft out (under the impression you already had it out), then use a closed end wrench to tighten it....
SVT

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've never tried to either loosen or tighten the lower balljoint nut on a TTB front axle witout haiving the rotor, spindle and shaft removed.

Getting a wrench on it is childs play with the spindle removed.

Part of your trouble was that you weren't supposed to loosen the lower while doing a camber bushing.

AD

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Dang I coulda swore I read to loosen the lower bj. And the saft isn't out, but ill pull it, repack my bearings, and tighten the lbj's...thanks guys!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the camber bushings are well smeared with waterproof marine grade grease you loosen the pinch bolt and they move around rather easily.

My sleeves turn freely even after four well salted pennsylvania winters.

I took them apart while replacing a wheelbearing and an outer U-joint just last week...

I am very reluctant to disturb the lower balljoints unless I'm replacing them, part of that is the issue you are having
the other part of it is I don't like un-necissarily wasting my stainless steel cotter pins:)

AD

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Part of your trouble was that you weren't supposed to loosen the lower while doing a camber bushing.

AD
I tried that and it was a big PITA. I removed the knuckle and had to hammer the shit out of the beam.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals