• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver side axle fell out

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I recently acquired an 1985 4wd that at some point had the drivers side axle come out of the housing while driving. It is all put together and "drivable" right now but I am worried about how safe it is to drive. I've been Googling for information on the rear end in this particular truck but haven't had much luck. It seems there were a lot of different types over the years. If anyone could point me to info on how this may have happened and how to make sure it's secure that would help a lot. As of right now I'm left with a truck sitting in the driveway that I'm afraid shouldn't be driven.

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the c clip came off or the shaft broke

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The shaft would have broken.

In order for the C-clip to come out the cross pin would have to have been removed, by breakage or whatever, and the axle pulled in far enough for the clip to come out of it's protective spider gear recess. Those circumstances would have probably warranted a complete rear end replacement, axle shaft aside. I'm betting the axle broke and was replaced, hopefully with a new bearing and seal.

Honestly, it should be fine. Drive the truck around either at night or somewhere there's not a lot of traffic and do some turns and moderate speed. No noises will pretty much mean it's ok.

Normally shafts are pretty strong on these trucks. And your truck year should be a 7.5", which now that I type that, are known for blowing out spider gears under extreme stress :icon_idea:

But still, some gentle cruising that yields no noises = should be fine.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I was told the axles had no c-clips but are the type held in by bolts at the ends and with pressed in bearings.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I was told the axles had no c-clips but are the type held in by bolts at the ends and with pressed in bearings.
If it still has the stock rear.... You were misinformed.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If it was a limited slip axle and the clutches were completely gone (IE missing at least one clutch thickness if not two), it would be technically possible for a shaft to remove itself from the vehicle...

there's about a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance of that happening again if the axle is set up correctly...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
DaddysTruck:

Can you look at the Safety Standard Certification label attached to the left drivers side door lock post and tell us what the alphanumeric combination for axle is?

A picture of axle from behind would be nice too.

They would allow us to confirm if stock or not/limited slip or not.

I've broke axles - lots of weight/power/sudden change of traction, and had them come out but after replacing the damaged parts, it was as good as before the failure.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate all the responses. I haven't been able to get over to where I parked the truck yet since I posted this but I will tomorrow. I'm going to look it over the best I can and drive it home if all looks good. I'll take some pictures of the axle. I'm not sure there is any sticker in the door jamb. I looked before and didn't see any.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I drove the truck about 30 miles today with no issue. Some twisty turny back roads, high speed down the interstate and a little through the city. There were some creeks from the rear occasionally but I think all is well at least for right now.
While I was checking out the rear end I noticed that the rubber axle vent tube was split wide open at the bottom. I pulled it off and the tube as well as the nub from the axle was completely clogged with dirt. I got the tube cleaned out and I used a tiny flat head to dig out the dirt from the nub. I hope that I got it all. Eventually I couldn't get the end of the screwdriver any further in and I assume because I was hitting axle. I used WD40 with the straw down into the nub to flush it out. I imagine the fluid in there is nasty.
Here are some pictures I took while I was under there.

http://imgur.com/L7d7H2e

http://imgur.com/PIu9Ifh

http://imgur.com/gg3Ssh3

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Looks like a 7.5" with 9" drums (which is basically spot on for that year). I'm going to assume the number in front of the "45" by the bolt is a 3, for a 3.45 gear ratio (again, common for that year). Doesn't look to be a limited slip, I can't see any trace of a "L" in the ratio. If it reads "3 45" it's an open diff, if it reads "3L45" it's a limited slip.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

From the pics everything seems to be in good, non leaking, working order.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If your axle shaft just popped out on you while driving you do need to open her up very soon and look inside, find your C-clip and reinstall it. Or replace it since it probably broke. Might need to look for a new king pin too.

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure if there's a 3 in front of the 45. I looked, but can't tell from the bend. I've been driving the hell out of it, and it's doing fine, so my conclusion is that it's not going to come flying apart anytime soon. I thank everyone for their help. Now onto all the other problems this thing has lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals