• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The damn fuel strap

Hayden1234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 cl 2.3 liter
Transmission
Manual
I'm replacing the fuel tank straps on my ranger because they were rotting off. The passenger side is just a bolt that I got off, but the drivers side is a hook, I can't figure out how to get it off. ITS JUST A DAMN FUEL STRAP HOW HARD CAN IT BE. Do I need to take off the bed? Or what. I'm doing this on a 1995 xlt 2wd 4cl2.3L

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On the older models, and it looks similar on the 96 I have, the strap has two notches on the driver side of the strap. You insert the strap like a key (almost vertical) and turn it to lock the strap in place...so just twist it either upward or downward (more like clockwise or counter) and it should pull out.

Unless the strap is rusted to the cross member it should pull out fairly easily...

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
There should be a font and back strap(both on drivers side). Towards the pass side on the straps there is a bolt that holds each one in.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When i done my 97 it was that style mentioned above. Basically what you do is take the passenger side loose. Push the drivers side strap straight up till it's in the open area above the strap i rotated it towards the rear to get it loose.

Couple words of advice. On the new straps spray them with rubberized under coating. Probably not needed but i had a can and done it for piece of mind. Also on the bolts i got rid of those threaded inserts and just replaced them with grade 8 bolts. Done a flat washer on the head side and a flat and lock washer with a nut on the shaft side.

Hope that helps some. I never thought about taking pictures. I was in too much pain to think of taking pictures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals