• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap dash idiot lights issue

moosemeadows

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/85/89
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I'm doing a 4.0 swap into a 87 Bronco ll At the wiring part now and would like to know if there's a way to make the dash warning lites work prior to running the rig What I'm asking is there a way to either provide power to a wire or ground a wire and look at dash to see what idiot lite is on? I've got the dash diagrams for the 87 and know where the senders are. I'm concerned with oil pressure & oil level at this point.I know there's gotta be a way to trick the lights to work. Thanks in advance

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Turn key on, ground wire to sensor. It should peg the gauge.

moosemeadows

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/85/89
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm working with warning lights and I knew that about guages but it doesn't seem to work on lights like low oil level or low oil pressure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil Level sender is open, not grounded when oil level is OK, then closes with low oil level.
It runs to a "timer" circuit similar to Ford's anti-slosh circuit for fuel tank, so when going around corners the changing oil level won't turn on the light.
The Low Oil Level light should turn on with the key and then go off(if oil level is OK), that is a test that bulb is working.
So if you ground that senders wire the Oil Level Light should stay on.

1987 was around the year Ford switched from "real" oil pressure senders to oil pressure switches, these used different gauge setups.
You need to know which gauge you have, so do as adsm08 said, ground the sender wire
If gauge goes all the way up passed H then you have a "real" gauge, if it goes to about 1/2 way then you have a "switch" type gauge.

If you have a "real" gauge then you will need a "real" sender, PS60, is a real sender.
Or if you still have the 2.9l use its sender.
All 4.0l engines used a switch not a "real" sender.
You will need an adapter for the PS60 on a 4.0l

If you have the oil pressure sender wire disconnected the oil pressure light should come on with the key

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals