• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shopping for a new beater...opinions?

FX5

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 85 b2 is about shot, body’s shot, frames shot, engine is about shot... That’s more or less everything that makes a vehicle, well, a vehicle. So I've embarked on finding a replacement winter beater/wheeling unit. It needs to be a 2.9, 5 speed, and 4x4. I found two that are in my price range and meet the standards. But idk which route to go, figured I'd post up and see if anyone else has any input on my delma.

First I found an 88 b2 eb 2.9 5 speed manual xfer manual hubs with 168k miles on the ticker. As far as I can see, its not been messed with, like wiring and "custom" parts. It has the factory eb tire cover lol and the factory premium cass. player. The guy used it for a plow truck for the past 4 years to plow his short driveway. Decided the bronco was overkill for how small his driveway is, so he got a walk behind blower. Hence the reason for selling. It does have some body rust, seems in better shape than my current 85. Interior seems like it would clean up well and has a lot of nice features like tilt, cruise, storage, and it being tan, an actual normal color for an interior. It comes with the 6 foot plow, not sure what make or model tho. Comes with the hydraulics but I'm not sure if they work or if they are all there, maybe you can tell. He says it needs a brake line tires and body work to pass inspection. My question is, how much do you think I could sell the plow set up for? That would offset the purchase price and could make this bronco an extremely cheap buy, depending how much the plow is worth. He is at 500 firm for everything. Here is a picture of it, there is a link at the bottom of the post with more pictures of both.

The second is a 90 b2 xlt 2.9 5 speed auto xfer and auto hubs with only 74k miles on it. Idk if it has a d35 but my guess is it does. It also looks unmolested. He bought it for a grand, put brakes and wheel bearings in it, and decided 4 vehicles was one to many, hence the reason for selling. The body seems almost completely rust free and the frame looks very solid. Interior looks clean but I just can't get past how absolutely hideous the red interior is, as well as how "creampuffy" the exterior paint scheme looks lol. I don't care for the way it looks, at all, but mechanically, it seems very solid, good to start a build on. However, idk if a lift wheels and tires can compensate for the awful colors. He says it needs a tailpipe for inspection, which ran out last month... kinda fishy as to why he would let it run out for a tailpipe... He is at 700 firm for it. Here is a picture of it:

Sorry the pics are so small. I didn't know they were gonna upload like that.

Every spare part I have is for gen 1, I would like to keep my d28 7.5 4.10 set up with all new ball joints and wheel bearings. So idk what to do. I personally like the 88 better, but I think the 90 may be a better buy... Just cant get over how absolutely hideous it is, and i'd rather keep the factory paint on this one. I spray bombed my 85 and have regretted everyday of it. Lifted with factory paint looks clean, even if the clear is pealing lol. So let me know what you think, and if you've read this far, thanks for reading my boring uneventful post lol

LINK TO MORE small PICTURES: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/BBII/NEW%20BRONCOS/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20
(the engine bay shots are of the 88)

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pros and cons time! You have a gen1 for some parts already (+1 to 88). The 90 is clean looking (+1 to 90). The 88 come with a plow, and if functional, would be a nice sale (+1 88). The 90 (If the exhaust work turns out to be doable) would require less to to be road worthy (+1 90). I could go on but you get the idea. Make a list, check it twice, naughty and nice, yada yada... Good luck! Keep us posted!!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm partial to the gen II's, if the build date is after 9/89 its got the d35 and 1354 t case. Much easier to do a 4.0 swap when the 2.9 craps out.

The plow is a plus on the 88, but thats about it. Go for the 90.

FX5

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I already kinda have a list in my head. The 90 is very clean by the pictures, and clean is a huge plus. Since I plan on lifting it and upgrading when I can afford to. So fighting rust wont be much of a problem. Just hope it looks better lifted lol. I'm guessing, with only 74k, it wont have much old vehicle noise. My 85 with 140k makes all kinds of shakes and rattles, scarey at some points lol

Definatly leanin toward the 90...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the rust would be my issue b/c i'm to lazy to fix rust... i'd say the 90, even tho that saddens me a lil, b/c i love the gen1's!

but the ease of 4.0 swap... the better body condition. you can always change the interior to the gray.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would go for the 90 BII. paint it and swap the interior. Its almost got 100k less miles on the motor. If you get the other might as well get a motor or overhaul kit...

1987bronc2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go for the 90 if you like the 1st gen look that much just swap front ends other then the front end the exterior is identical, I kind of almost prefer the 90's front end though myself.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seeing what 4.0B2 said, I agree. The amount of work required for the 90 is significantly less. I too am partial to gen1 fronts, but the gen2 is a close second. I gave you this list idea because I never want to tell someone what to do with their rig. My vote nonetheless would have to stand with the 90. I like red interiors though... =DD

FX5

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like a landslide lol. Maybe the 90 will grow on me. I'll have to work on getting it possibly sometime this week. I almost hope it has a 28 so I can keep my 4.10s until I find a set of deeper geared upgrade axles... Only time will tell. It will be nice working on it without everything being rusty.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The only reason I see the 88 being better is the price. I say the 90.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the build date on the drivers door

FX5

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know a d35 when I see one. I'll just look under it. Its 3 and a half hours away, so... I'm makin one trip, either I get it or I don't, hence the thinking process lol

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is a d35, you can still install your d28 in their one would think.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd probably snag the '90. FWIW, I have personally seen a '90 with a D28, FM-145 and 1350 t-case so make sure you know what you're getting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals