• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cargo lighting, and expo ohc

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
my b2 doesnt have a rear cargo light, it has the cutout in the headliner and has 2 wires, but no plug or anything else. i would really like to have one, is there anywhere besides a j/y i can get them? what all do i need?

also i wouldnt mind having an explorer overhead console, which year are u guys using? anyone have some pics? i think my b2 used to be electrical tcase because i have a small hole and 2 wires comming out of my headliner where the buttons would have been.

one more thing, how can i run a switch to mount in the cargo area to stop all lights from lighting when any or all doors is open? i like to jam out when im camping and would like to be able to keep the lights off and be able to sit in the back and have the doors open

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as the lights coming on when the back hatch is open, I did a temporary fix. The switch at the driver's side of the back hatch sticks out far enough, that I held it all the way in and drilled a small hole all the way through the button and the housing on the very tip, from the side. Just enough to hold a piece of wire that I slide in and hold the button in the "off" position.
I have another button switch from a donor, and sometime later I plan to swap it out, and wire in a toggle switch that I will mount just inside the door jamb.

I suppose if you wanted to overide all the inside lights at once, you could wire in a switch up at the under dash fuse block, and mount it on the dash wherever is convienient.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my b2 doesnt have a rear cargo light, it has the cutout in the headliner and has 2 wires, but no plug or anything else. i would really like to have one, is there anywhere besides a j/y i can get them? what all do i need?

also i wouldnt mind having an explorer overhead console, which year are u guys using? anyone have some pics? i think my b2 used to be electrical tcase because i have a small hole and 2 wires comming out of my headliner where the buttons would have been.

one more thing, how can i run a switch to mount in the cargo area to stop all lights from lighting when any or all doors is open? i like to jam out when im camping and would like to be able to keep the lights off and be able to sit in the back and have the doors open

I'm in sort of the same boat right now. I redid my headliner and didn't do any cutouts for the overhead lights, in front or back. The reason for it is I wanted to put different interior lighting in from another vehicle. I'm not in any hurry to put the lights in so I have been looking at other builds, ebay and checking the J/Y to find the lights I want.

Haven't found much that appeals to me yet, but I want something brighter than the stock lights up there. If you just want to override the hatch switch while your other doors are closed, I would take the hatch switch out and tie into it with a toggle type switch, then put it back in.

Mount your toggle where you want it and use it to interrupt the circuit to the hatch switch. This way, when the hatch is open (front doors closed) you can toggle your interior lights off and on.

I believe all the door/hatch switches operate off being grounded. Like when the door is open, the door switch pops out and grounds the circuit, making the interior lights come on. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i would love to have dual ext cab ranger overhead lights that would be schweet, dunno how i'd do it in the cargo area if itd even work

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If I am running around with my doors off in the summer I just pull the dome light fuse. It also disables the ignition buzzer which is nice.

As far as your front headliner hole... I would guess you had a Bronco II overhead console at one time. They have a clock and a weird flip down flashlight looking map light. Snagged one from an '85 a while back but threw it away after storing it for years.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
For a replacement light for the rear, with a built in switch, go find a 1st gen X in the junkyard. The switch is the EXACT same thing that was used in the BII. I have one with really nice chrome in the caargo area of my 84 BII.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
If I am running around with my doors off in the summer I just pull the dome light fuse. It also disables the ignition buzzer which is nice.

As far as your front headliner hole... I would guess you had a Bronco II overhead console at one time. They have a clock and a weird flip down flashlight looking map light. Snagged one from an '85 a while back but threw it away after storing it for years.
i just pull the bulb when i pull my pins and remove the doors lol..esp since i aint got but one bulb. anyone know if a 95+ overhead console out of an x will work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals