• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 ranger 5.0 swap trouble

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just finished swapping my 4.0 out for a explorer 5.0 both 2000. I swapped from 5 speed to auto and swapped engine and steering column. Swap is done and now when I turn the key I get nothing? No 12v on signal wire at starter or any fuel from fuel pump? Any ideas guys!!! Dash is working and volt gauge is reading, no blown fuses, starter relay good, no codes from obd scanner, fired up explorer and drove it in shop before swap!!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished swapping my 4.0 out for a explorer 5.0 both 2000. I swapped from 5 speed to auto and swapped engine and steering column. Swap is done and now when I turn the key I get nothing? No 12v on signal wire at starter or any fuel from fuel pump? Any ideas guys!!! Dash is working and volt gauge is reading, no blown fuses, starter relay good, no codes from obd scanner, fired up explorer and drove it in shop before swap!!
Do the 2000 Explorer and 2000 Ranger share the same PATS system?

If I remember the EVTM's correctly, one of the differences in the Explorer vs Ranger harnesses is the ground for the fuel pump relay and starter relay. Other real differences is the controls for the A/C clutch relay.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a PATS(passive anti-theft system)

Did you swap the key cylinder?
So you could use the PATS keys from the Explorer

New 5.0l computer will not have your PATS keys in memory, if your Ranger had PATS.
If your Ranger didn't have PATS then you will be missing the RFID detector in the Key switch as well.

A bit about PATS on this swap page, about 3/4 of the way down the page:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.html

2000 should be Type B PATS so engine should crank even if PATS was the issue.

Last edited:

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the key along with the entire steering column because it had the shifter I needed for the auto conversion! All pats from explorer is in ranger

Where is the ground for starter and fuel pump??

I'm about to order a evtm for both ranger and explorer

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you swap the PATS receiver from behind the glove box?

The chip in the key needs to match that unit.

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swapped the original steering column with old pats and still no fuel pump or starter!! Any ideas

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The starter circuit is fairly simple.
Battery-----ignition switch-----NSS(neutral safety switch)-------starter relay(starter motor)

The NSS is on the shifter on the transmission, same switch works the reverse lights.
The trans must be in Park or Neutral for the switch to pass the 12volts from ignition switch to starter relay.

The shifter cable and shift bracket on the steering column are known issues on the Ranger, they get a little worn and NSS doesn't read "Park" position, often it will crank in Neutral but not park if this happens.

I assume if you swapped the whole harness the Clutch IN switch(on clutch master cylinder push rod) and wiring are no longer part of this circuit

Last edited:

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have tried park and neutral!! I can't get anything from fuel pump. Anyone know where I can find a evtm? Tried google, amazon, ebay, and helm.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The starter circuit is fairly simple.
Battery-----ignition switch-----NSS(neutral safety switch)-------starter relay(starter motor)
I assume if you swapped the whole harness the Clutch IN switch(on clutch master cylinder push rod) and wiring are no longer part of this circuit
That was part of my thought. When you removed the master cylinder, did you jumper the wires at the connector? Auto's have a jumper there in place of the switch. I've got the diagrams for both if needed. Need power thru pins 5 & 6 to power the start relay.
Dave

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Made the jumper wire from 6 to 5 and nothing changed! Jumped pink to pink and white?
EVTM on the way

I have no clue what going on

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also reverse lights so I'm thinking that means PCM knows I'm in park??(or correct gear)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not really the PCM that controls that, NSS is a mechanical switch, when in Park or Neutral two wires on the NSS are connected, one wire from the ignition switch and the other wire goes to the Starter relay(motor), so when you turn the key to START position the 12volts goes out to NSS and passes thru to Starter Relay.
When shifter moved to Reverse or Drive, the two wires are no longer connected via the NSS, so a mechanical switch that slides to make and break contacts, like ignition switch does.

In the Power Box is the Fuel Pump Relay, pull it out, with key off, one of the slots in the socket should have 12volts, this is from the Fuel Pump Fuse, it has 12volts 24/7.
If no 12volts then check fuse.

Automotive relays have standard pin numbering.
Look here for diagram: http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Automotive Relays.html

Pin 30 is the 12volt pin from fuse(fuel pump power)
Pin 87 will be connected to inertia switch wire(sends power to fuel pump)
You can use a Jumper wire from slot 30 to slot 87 and fuel pump should come on if wiring, and pump, is OK.

Pin 87a may or may not be there but it is not used in any case for this application.

Pins 85 and 86 are the control pins, with key on, either 85 or 86 slot will have 12volts now, this is the power for the relay, the other slot(not 12v) will be connected to the PCM, the PCM grounds this slot to activate the relay.
So the 12volts is on the whole time the key is, but there is no ground so relay stays OPEN, PCM grounds the relay to CLOSE it and send power(from pin 30 to 87) to fuel pump via inertia switch(located behind passenger side kick panel usually)

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, all three pair of wires at the pedal switch need to be jumpered if going auto. The pink and pink/white go to the starter relay and the other two pairs end up going to the CPU.
Dave

Attachments

Rclifton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok Ron there is 12V on pin 30 in fuel pump relay!! That's good so wiring is correct just not getting the signal from switch to send 12v!!

I tried jumping the pink wire to pink/gray and gray/redx2 wires over to blue/yellow in 5-speed clutch position sensor and still nothing!!!

Getting closer

Last edited:

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
For 2000, the RFID key info is stored in the PATS Module, not in the PCM. So, if you are attempting to use the 5.0 Explorer keys with the original Ranger PATS Module, it will not crank or start.

The PATS Module is in the passenger side of the dash, forward of the PS airbag.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals