• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 exp 5.0 in 03 ranger edge...runs but alternator question

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I done the swap and most the wiring is done. The truck will start and run fine. But will die without the battery plugged up and charged. But since my truck is an 03 the driver fender well didn't have a solenoid. The 97 explorer did have a fender solenoid. So I bolted it to my truck, ran the battery harness, the fuse box to the bottom terminal, and the thick black wire with a red stripe off the alternator to the bottom side of the solenoid. BUT what i having trouble with is there are 2 wires that come out of the alternator regulator I believe (yellow/white and green/red) they run across the engine and come out the plastic wrapping and have 2 more wires with them (black/yellow and black) into a 4pin plug. I have the other end of the plug I cut off the explorer where it started to run into the part of harness I didn't need. Where do I plug or slice them in? What about the square 6pin connector on the ranger harness side that sits under the brake master cylinder and booster area. I have no idea what that plug is for but I was thinking air conditioning high pressure switch and alternator but again I'm lost...someone please help I'm so close.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, you should be very close.

On that 6 wire plug, you should (almost) get a wire for wire color code match with the explorer compressor/alternator harness.

For the alternator, there are three wires total.

1st is the heavy always hot wire, probably going to the starter solenoid on the inner fender and then directly to battery positive.

2nd is the Yellow/White -- it too is continuous hot but via the fuse box.

3rd is the Light Green/Red -- that is the "excite" wire for the alternator and should get power with the key in the "RUN" position.

Both the Yellow/White and Green/Red should have direct matches with that connector under your brake booster.

The black/yellow and black are for the a/c compressor clutch coil -- and probably part of the trickiest bit of the 5.0 wiring conversion -- the logic between the Explorer and Ranger compressor control circuits are often very different depending on the combination of Explorer and Ranger years.

If I remember the EVTM correctly: On the Ranger, the a/c switch controls power to the a/c clutch coil relay. The pressure switches control ground to the a/c clutch coil and the engine ECU opens the A/C clutch coil relay at WOT.

On the Explorer, the A/C switch signals the engine ECU to call for a/c -- the pressure switches are also route through the ECU and the ECU makes all the decisions on controlling the a/c compressor.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that was the fastest reply I've ever gotten on here. Thank you so much. I'm at work now but I'll be jumping on the alternator wiring as soon as I'm home and let you know how it goes....probably gonna wait a lil while on a/c wiring lol I'll get to it eventually but just care to get it on the road right now.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok sorry for the late reply I got everything hooked up and the truck is perfect. Runs like a top and everything worked I didn't even have to change the speedometer it just worked soon as I took off BUT now I need more help...my tach was for the v6 and went higher than it was supposed to so I followed this "Here's how you modify your Ranger tachometer for V-8 use:

1) Get your dash apart and disconnect the cluster
2) If you have a EVTM turn to the Instrument cluster section
3) Locate Pin 8 on wire connector C216 (Black/Yellow Wire)
4) Use a very small flathead screwdriver to release the pin from the connector housing
5) Find Connector C214 (largest of the 3 for cluster)
6) Install the wire removed from C216 in to slot 16 on C214. This slot is currently vacant.
7) Put everything back together and fire it up. You're all done."

And while I did that perfectly I added a white explorer sport trac cluster because it looked better. Anyways the tach worked great but the speedometer quit. Long story short I swapped the wire back, swapped between clusters, and just put everything back to normal, speedometer doesn't work now....could someone tell me which wire or wires in there go to the speedometer so I can put a test light on it or what may have went wrong? (Also you had to hit the top of the dash to get the tach working every once in a while so I'm guessing a short somewhere? And could possibly be related?)

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok since I've gotten no help I will include for anyone having this problem I also have no odometer, door ding, and no windshield wipers. The turn signals and everything else works just no wipers. So I believe it's the GEM module. Hopefully I fix my own problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals