• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

snow plowing

Mike Tonon

I have a Snowbear snow plow for my Ranger. I'm satisfied with it, it does the job, but I have to get out to turn it side to side. Has anyone here ever rigged up a winch so it would turn side to side at the push of a button? Any other ideas on moding it so I can turn it side to side from inside the cab?

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
One possible way is to have a heavy spring on one side of the plow that naturally sits compressed when the plow is fully in one direction and have the winch on the other side. As the winch reels in, it pulls on the spring and rotates the plow in its direction. As you spool out the plow then gets pulled back by the spring. The only worry I would have is that the spring would have a constant work cycle and I don't know how it or the cable could handle the stress. And for storage you shouldn't have it straight, you would have to let out cable until the spring fully compresses. Something to mull over.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest a linear actuator (kinda like a hydraulic cylinder that works off of electricity) but they tend to be cost-prohibitive. I know that because I got tired of manually angling the lawn tractor plow and thought about rigging up one to angle it until I discovered just how expensive those things are.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, if you want power angle it's time to upgrade to a better plow.

Mike Tonon

I like my plow, its relatively simple and works great for what I do. Its metal, but light enough for me to pick up myself and not heavy enough to need a more beefed up front end. I don't need lights for it either. It also only has a mount that sits under the bumper, no modification or removal of the bumper or valance needed. I also can't justify spending alot of money on this plow or buying another plow unless I will get the money back. I only have my driveway and two others at the moment. I also don't want to kill my truck either. I'm just trying to use my truck for what its worth.

Heres what I'm working with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_qFElaDNhE

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I guess that is why they call it a 3-Position manual Angle. Snow bear is for light duty and you get what you pay for. My father has an 88" one on a Ram for his 200yard long driveway, and he also does the parking lot at his church. Part of the beauty of a snow bear is its simplicity; they even state that it won't have all the problems or weight of a commercial duty plow. My dad has joked about putting a rope in a circle out both windows to the corners of the plow so he can change the angle from inside the cab. Other than getting a commercial plow or adding a angle system from a commercial plow ($$$$$) your just going to have to be like my dad and get out and use the manual angle....
I too would rather be in the comfort of the warm cab. Perhaps you could get your wife or kid to do it for you....

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was just swapping a power seat into my wife's Lumina and thinking how there must be something those motors could be used for. Don't know if they would be heavy enough but they use a screw drive so there is no way they would move unless the motor was turning. I know one guy that used a power convertible top mechanism. How about an electric scissor jack?

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

$200 for an accuater from a local vehicle add-on parts shop that might not be strong enough to handle the abuse. I'd like to come up with some durable and simple. Something that maybe other Snowbear plow onwers would be interested in.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If there was a cheap solution that would hold up you'd likely see it as an option you could buy from Snowbear.

Mike Tonon

Theres got to be something relatively cheap. Something cheaper than a better plow.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't know what the supply of used outboard motors is like there,but i have a power tilt unit from a 2000 merc 60hp that is just a ram and a pump-no trim buttons.it'll easilly lift the front of a fullsize truck off the ground,and would handle your plow easilly.
i bought the whole motor with a blown piston for $50.if you can find something like this,it would work.the ram is bi-directional,too.

Last edited:

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i don't know what the supply of used outboard motors is like there,but i have a power tilt unit from a 2000 merc 60hp that is just a ram and a pump-no trim buttons.it'll easilly lift the front of a fullsize truck off the ground,and would handle your plow easilly.
i bought the whole motor with a blown piston for $50.if you can find something like this,it would work.the ram is bi-directional,too.

I'd guess that thing won't work laying on it's side?
Even if it did I think you'd bend the cylinder rod in short order.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd guess that thing won't work laying on it's side?
Even if it did I think you'd bend the cylinder rod in short order.
it works just fine laying on it's side...or even upside down.it's a sealed system with no air in it,so orientation is not an issue.
as for strength of the ram,it'll raise the front of my f350 up off the ground,i don't see it bending on a plow.

by the way,the op is looking for ideas and answers...all you are giving is negativity.not cool.

Last edited:

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
it works just fine laying on it's side...or even upside down.it's a sealed system with no air in it,so orientation is not an issue.
as for strength of the ram,it'll raise the front of my f350 up off the ground,i don't see it bending on a plow.

by the way,the op is looking for ideas and answers...all you are giving is negativity.not cool.
I'm just trying to keep him from going down a road that cost him money and fails to give results. Just wondering, have you ever plowed any snow? I've been plowing, working on plows, and even built a few plows. Garden tractors to big farm tractors, jeeps to one ton trucks. And I've bent and broken plows.
Having your plow break in the middle of plowing a big storm is no fun. I still think that lift unit you showed won't hold up :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals