• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rangers with plows

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Was thinking about this the other day, then I noticed a Ranger in town with a plow on it, so i was just wondering if anyone has attached a plow to their Ranger, or thought about it, and what your opinions are on the 4.0's ability to push snow around.

/discuss

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
It's the chassis that can't take the abuse.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. These trucks are tough, but a plow beats the hell out of them. Not a good idea unless you are done with using it as a DD...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
It's the chassis that can't take the abuse.
On the '98-up Ford does not recommend using them to plow.
An '84-'97 TTB truck can handle a small plow but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a few driveways.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the '98-up Ford does not recommend using them to plow.
An '84-'97 TTB truck can handle a small plow but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a few driveways.
According to the user's manual in my 1990, Ford does not recommend the use of snow plows...........Or using the vehicle as an ambulance :icon_rofl:

marc11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I noticed this yesterday too, someone drive down my road in a Ranger with a plow and it got me thinking. I have a 400 foot driveway, takes me over 2 hours in deep snow with the snowblower, so I was wondering about sticking a plow on the Ranger too, beats the hell out of clearing AROUND IT!

Guess an ATV may be a better option.:dunno:

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I think the plow makes a Ranger look even more badass and Ford tough, haha, even if I only would do a few driveways to keep it all nice.

So the chassis is the weak point, is that due to a C channel instead of a boxed frame?

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
theres accually a first gen down the road from here with a plow but is been sittin for at least 2 to 3 yrs in the guys side yard just last year he pulled it out and put it back in his driveway. i completly forgot about it because the grass grew over. its still in decent shape too, but its got flat tires and i'm sure the drivetrain is shot.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 88's manual says that plows are optional. They even had a heavy duty suspension option for the front end which included air springs to handle plows.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
There's (2) Rangers with plows on eBay right now.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
They won't really be able to handle a decent plow. I have a plow on my 350 (which was made to handle the stresses btw) and it even can have issues with it. You will wear the springs out REAL fast and the extra weight on the front end will wear all those components faster.

Mind you if you live South of where I do and consider 3" of snow lots then giv 'er. Up here we have a few blazers and 1/4 tons with the sissy little plows on them. They can't move anything. The full size 3/4 or 1 tons are the ones that get things done. Well, those and the backhoes and articulated loaders. LOL

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a snow plow on my 85 ranger,i have no problems.its been on there for about 5 years now.it only had a 2.8 and i had no problems pushing snow.i drove it on the highway with the plow on,no over heating at all ,it does run a little hotter though.THe blade is a six foot .
i plow two or three driveways,the only problem i did find is the added weight on the front,lifts the rear and traction sucks,i had to drive in fwd most of the time ,other than on the highway.but it has a open rear,and a d28 front

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my '83 (the blue one) has a factory snow plow option kit on it, only it doesn't have the actuall plow or the bracket. It has the front air bags in the middle of the front springs and it use to have 2 inch lift blocks in the rear. With a pretty decent sized radiator that i put in my '86. Before the air bags went bad, if i would air them up it would lift the truck up a few inches.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I had a friend with a GMC Sonoma that had a plow setup on it. It used some type of plastic blade (I don't know, it was clear) and had a battery on the plow frame that worked a ram that applied force down on the plow so it would get down in the snow. The plow was to light to dig down on its own.

Worked really well. He made enough money plowing snow with it to pay for the truck.

marc11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a friend with a GMC Sonoma that had a plow setup on it. It used some type of plastic blade (I don't know, it was clear) and had a battery on the plow frame that worked a ram that applied force down on the plow so it would get down in the snow. The plow was to light to dig down on its own.

Worked really well. He made enough money plowing snow with it to pay for the truck.

Sounds like the "Sno-Way" polycarbonate blade with the downforce set up. They make them for compact trucks, been trying to get some prices.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals