• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ive come to the conclusion....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
As im laying under rusty #2, front driver wheel supported solidly by a cement block, laying in dirt, changing a fuel filter, getting soaked in gasoline and sweet, greasy oil that 2.9s always hemorrage with some age, that....

im getting to damn old for this shit.

My hands cramp, my arms get weak after a while, what i used to find fun is no longer fun, its a pain in the ass.

Not to mention, i didnt even get it done. I broke the plastic end of the fuel line, got pissed, said to hell with it. Ill take it down to my mechanic, cough up another hundo. The damn filter wasnt even bad.

So now tomorrow i gotta take my old decript ass out to change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Yank the fuel pump (again), turn it in for warrenty, and swap on the brand spankin new EGR valve.

Either way, just had to rant. Had a real moment today. Realzing that im not as good as i used to be. Im not as patient, as flexiable, as mentally focused.

So i guess from now on, im better suited to sitting here, giving half ass advice online, argueing the merits of carburators, 2.9s, pre triton engines, and other unpopular things folks view as inferior.

It is indeed....a sad day.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Indeed it is a sad day :(

Not far behind you on this, was doing my carrier bearing and u-joints a few months back was thinking the samething.

My grandfather got my father to do the "dirty" work, and my Father got me to do the dirty work, my son moved to Perth Australia 6 years ago, WTF!!, lol, so have to do my own dirty work and getting too old for it .

Was thinking of getting a Mobile Mechanic to come out vs my local shop for those "under the car" projects, and some "over the car" as well, lol

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
As im laying under rusty #2, front driver wheel supported solidly by a cement block, laying in dirt, changing a fuel filter, getting soaked in gasoline and sweet, greasy oil that 2.9s always hemorrage with some age, that....

My hands cramp, my arms get weak after a while, what i used to find fun is no longer fun, its a pain in the ass.

Not to mention, i didnt even get it done. I broke the plastic end of the fuel line, got pissed, said to hell with it. Ill take it down to my mechanic, cough up another hundo. The damn filter wasnt even bad.

So now tomorrow i gotta take my old decript ass out to change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Yank the fuel pump (again), turn it in for warrenty, and swap on the brand spankin new EGR valve.

Either way, just had to rant. Had a real moment today. Realzing that im not as good as i used to be. Im not as patient, as flexiable, as mentally focused.

So i guess from now on, im better suited to sitting here, giving half ass advice online, argueing the merits of carburators, 2.9s, pre triton engines, and other unpopular things folks view as inferior.

It is indeed....a sad day.
Oh, crap! Please, please, please say you are at least 15 years older than me.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild

Yes sir,

there comes the time when one realizes that you're not as young as you used to be, and you cannot perform the same things you used to in a timely manner, put me in that same club as well,

I wish that I had a hoist (and a place to put one), but like you & your issue I just finished up on a entire rear suspension/fuel tank overhaul/refresh on my wife's 91 GTP, in the heat that we've had here it just about did me in. I do it all in a storage unit that I rent, at least it's dry in there, but lying horizontal is just not the way to do it anymore. 65 is just 7 mths away.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My grandpa had me helping out working on his truck when I was six. About ten years later while working on his truck he came out to check and make sure I was working on his truck and then go back inside and sit, eat tater chips, watch tv. He would repeat that routine ever so often while I was outside working. Wouldn't give those memories up for the world. Now he has dementia and does not know how to check his oil anymore. It sucks.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well you can go buy one of them new trucks

I love my 1990 and my 1991 ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 one is auto the other is 5 speed.The 4.0 is a wonderful engine All around OBD1 trucks Never seem to see a check engine light come on.No i will not buy a new truck No thank you

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I love my 1990 and my 1991 ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 one is auto the other is 5 speed.The 4.0 is a wonderful engine All around OBD1 trucks Never seem to see a check engine light come on.No i will not buy a new truck No thank you

OBD 1/EEC IV never throws lights cause it seems like it dont pick up on alot of stuff.

I still to this day will always prefer the simplcity of a good Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb and duraspark ignition.

Ive had numerous carbed vehicles, and numerous EFI vehicles. Guess which ones ive had the most issue with?

Give ya a hint....its the ones that have a diagnostic plug.

Yes, the carbed ones could get fussy at times if i neglected to take 10 mins and adjust the choke for season change. But you know, once it started having issues, it would usually take me about 1/2 hr to figure out whats wrong, and another 1/2 hr to fix.

None of this read codes, get codes, then figureing out if it really is thst O2 sensor, or some other issue causing the o2 to code out, or god forbid a wireing issue.

Nope, it was go to the parts store, spend 30 bucks on a carb kit, 50 on a dizzy and 30 on a dursspark box, take an hr swapping the stuff out, another hr rebuilding/adjusting csrb, and guess what? You were back on your merry way. You needed a flathead screwdriver and a ratchet with a 7/16 and 1/2 socket.

But unfourtantly, the days of finding a decent, driver quality carbed vehicle are overwith. They are all somebodies half assed project or show vehicles they want a mint for.

Ive been dragged into the 21st century over the past few years in alotta ways....and i dont like it one bit.

BTW, not meant to spark an EFI/carb debate. Just one mans nostalgic opinion.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My goal was to not spark....

So i guess itd be a TFI ignite a debate

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But unfourtantly, the days of finding a decent, driver quality carbed vehicle are overwith. They are all somebodies half assed project or show vehicles they want a mint for.
Quite a few are both.

Parking cars at our car show it is amazing how many sound like the timing is off or are smoking black because whoever the owner is has never looked at the engine since they picked it up from whoever restored the thing.

Kinda hit your point earlier this week. Crammed a M5R2 into my Ranger TWICE. Yeah we are having fun now. :yahoo:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got it in and went to reposition myself to start a bellhousing bolt... bumped the valve on the tranny jack and we got to start all over. :temper:

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well you can go buy one of them new trucks

I own 12 old chevy trucks and car's from 1964--72 and my 3 Rangers 1990 1991 1996.

If u work on enough rangers you can tell what the problem is.Like i said the 4.0 is probable the best V 6 engine on the market or it was for are 1990--1997 when it was a single over head cam.

In today's market you can buy the snap on Brick scanner for 250.00 off eBay there really easy to use and it will tell you what your truck needs.

Now my 1971 and 72 chevy trucks and my 1965 3'4 ton When something brakes most of the time they have to order it.Not like back in the 80's you can pick up anything your truck needs.Just like your carb rebuild kit.its always 2 days to wait.

My 1990 and 1991 have the 4.0 in them There easy to work on as long as you stay on top of your truck .

I pop the hood on all my trucks every day before i drive them.I check all fluids and check for leaks.When i fire up my trucks I listen to how it runs in the morning.Most people just jump in there buckets and turn on the radio rev the engine up Witch is so Wrong on a cold motor.

Now i live in Calif We don't have cold starts to offten here but back east you have snow.

I'm planning on moving back east cus i hate living in a state where every one is a ASS ho-e.

I grew up in a farming town back in the 70's.I miss the small town people.

But I use to hate Fuel injected car's or trucks.After you know how they tick there not so bad.I will never own a 2000 or newer car or truck.

The first gen are OK But the 2 gen car's an trucks of the 90's to me are the best.it was right before they got CHEAP.

the 1990--94 rangers are the best.One reason.In are 1989--94 it takes 10 to 20 mins to change the heater core.

The 1995 late until 2015 takes you 4-7 hours to get to the heater core.To me I think they built the truck around the heater core.Stupid.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have rules on when you buy one of these rangers 1990--97

I'm for one massive tune up every thing is done over kill.I don't want to touch
this truck for 3-4 years.

That means radiator all hoses water pump fan clutch and new plastic fan.Flush motor.

All new plugs and wires If the injectors have over 190,000 on them change them new intake gaskets.Check and replace all Vacuum plastic hoses and rubber fittings.Change the Fuel pump rely Under the Fuse box.

If you can get one off the new 2001 ford that has the 4.0 take the Mass air senser .I like factory.Change the 1 or 4 O2 sensors.Valve cover gaskets change them.

If you can buy the trans filter and put new oil in and take the rear diff off and drain it and clean it and put new gasket in and re seal it up.

Check carrier bearing and u joints then brakes.

I know its a lot but you do it when you have money when you buy that truck For 500.00 to 2000 spend the extra 1000 to 1500/Cus it will last you when you need it most

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ive had to order way more stuff for my ranger then my 77.

85, i know what you mean about the carshow guys. All they care about is makin it look pretty. It only has to make it 20 miles a year.

Im the oppisite. Body dont mean much to me, but ya know, i wouldnt hesitate to hop in my 77 and drive it cross country.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Saw this and thought of you Rusty :icon_rofl:

I am not a spongebob fan but I thought it was pretty funny...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals