• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower Ball Joint Loose in Control Arm

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
Hey guys,

For starters, I already know they sell ball joint replacements with a slightly wider diameter for loose control arm holes, but I want to know how bad it would be to keep things as is for a while.

I just replaced my lower ball joints, and I had to press new Moog replacements into place. Problem is, one week later I was doing a spindle swap and I noticed the ball joints now sit somewhat loosely in place ...

Thoughts on this? I would rather not spend the money to again buy another set of ball joints. The strange part is, I DID have to press these replacements in 2 weeks ago!

I have the 2003 2wd ranger, no off roading (except the really really crappy pot-holed streets of the boston area).

Thanks in advance.

Phil

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If the hole in your lower control arm that you pressed the ball joint into is damaged causing the new joint you pressed in to move, I'd park the truck until you can get a new LCA and replace it. As you mention, you have a lot of pot holes in your area in the event you hit one hard enough to pop that joint out or snap it, you could quite easily lose control hurting yourself and others.

Not saying it to scare you, but suspension/steering isn't something I'd take a chance on.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For starters, I already know they sell ball joint replacements with a slightly wider diameter for loose control arm holes, but I want to know how bad it would be to keep things as is for a while.
My thoughts on leaving it as is and driving the truck for a while are as follows:

I will stop just short of terming it suicidal and only call it extremely idiotic.

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
I appreciate the responses. That c-clip should in theory be enough to hold it in though right?

Curious if anyone had actually had any issues caused by this.

Thanks again-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you're relying on that clip to keep it in....again I wouldn't risk it. Its pressed in part and that clip would hold the weight of the part on its own sure, but not in addition to the stresses a suspension sees on a day to day basis.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Hell go one better get a arm with the BJ in it! Be done live to talk about it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I appreciate the responses. That c-clip should in theory be enough to hold it in though right?

Curious if anyone had actually had any issues caused by this.

Thanks again-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. In fact I often leave the snap rings out on my own, partially because the groove is often cut too high, so it doesn't fully clear the knuckle, but also because if the splined, pressed section of that joint decides it is coming out that snap ring is not stopping it.

I have actually pressed ball joints out of the knuckle without removing the snap ring when the holes were too messed up to get a bite on. The last little land below it just breaks off most of the time.

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
Alright - Well I went ahead and ordered a replacement over size Ball Joint for that control arm. ACDelco made one for $35 (moog didnt seem to have one that fit my truck).

Better safe than sorry! I was thinking about it over the weekend, and I think the heavy vibration from grinding away the lip on my lower control arm for a spindle lift is what loosened that ball joint / lower control arm hole.

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the part number for the oversized ball joint? I put 4 new ones on last year and 20k ago. Brought it in for inspection today and they said the ball joint is loose in the control arm. I guess that explains the "clunk" I've had for the past year.

I would much rather replace the ball joint than the control arm

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The upper and lower bjs on my 98 were so bad, there was no replacing them. Same goes for the outer tie-rod ends, very sloppy and loose. Bought new upper and lower cas with new bjs and new bushings. Also did the inner and outer tie-rod ends while in there. NAPA parts. Yeah, costed me slightly over $700, but it sure does drive better now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals