• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Swap - Sync spark, injectors, & Engine???

krs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I am continuing slowly on putting a Taurus engine into my little Ranger. To date, I have

1. Replaced the head gasket
2. Replaced the water pump
3. Replaced the oil pump & gasket
4. Hooked it back up to the transmission & put it back in the truck
5. Hooked the transmission back up to the drive shaft
6. Put on the exhaust manifolds, y-pipes, etc.
7. Put on the generator
8. Put on the power-steering pump
9. Just picked up a couple fuel injectors to replace a couple that did not look to good, meaning I can put the injectors back on along with the upper intake manifold.
10. Have plugged in a fair amount of the sensors

This leads me to my question - Is there anything I need to do to make sure the spark plugs, fuel injectors, etc. are in sync with the rotation of the engine? Does the computer just figure it out from the crankshaft or some other sensor, or is there something I need to as in the "old days"?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
You say you did ONE headgasket... you know the water flows differently in FWD vs RWD applications right? If I recall the heads need to be swapped so the coolant flows correctly....

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The camshaft position sensor along with the crankshaft position sensor will synchronize the coil and the injectors, provided they are installed correctly. The CMP is most important as for being installed correctly, as there is no adjustment on the crank sensor.

With those sensors correctly installed, it should fire right up.

There is no difference in the heads, the only difference is in the head gaskets FWD or RWD, install the correct gasket on your application and thats it. No difference in the heads FWD or RWD.

JP02XLT

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
There is no difference in the heads, the only difference is in the head gaskets FWD or RWD, install the correct gasket on your application and thats it. No difference in the heads FWD or RWD.

JP02XLT
My mistake.... I knew something had to be swapped and he didnt mention if he did both head gaskets so that could be an issue seeing as it was in a taurus

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are members on here and RPS that have installed FWD engines and not changed the gaskets, and I have read they have not had any overheating problems. I don't have any personal experiences with a FWD gasket in a RWD ranger, but I do know there is a difference in the cooling passages in the gaskets FWD to RWD.

JP02XLT

krs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the insight!

Sorry, I replaced both head gaskets!

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figured you replaced both, and your question on the timing was a valid one, Main thing is to be sure that the CPS is installed correctly with #1 on the firing stroke on TDC, the markings on the balancer are generally a real pain to see. It should fire right up, turn the key on for 10-15 seconds to prime the fuel rails (a good time to check for fuel leaks) then crank the engine, it should go.

Good luck

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals