• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 4.0 4x4 5 speed 3.73 gears...best tire size?

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I just got told my tire with a nail in it was unrepairable today on my truck, so I am faced with buying 4 new tires and I'm trying to figure out what size I want to go with.

Its a 93 Ranger Supercab 4x4 with 4.0 3.73's and a 5-speed (converted by me from being an automatic).

Door sticker says originally 265/75R15 which is an oddball equivalent of a 31" tire.

My truck currently has 30x9.50-R15's on it which are about 28" tall from previous owner.

With my 3.73 gearing I'm looking at what tire is going to work best for this engine gas mileage wise??

I have been trying to figure out what the majority of 4x4's with 4.0 ohv's came with for tires with 3.73 gearing without much luck?

I would assume 235/75R15's?

Am I better off going to that tire size for better mileage (and cheaper tire price)??

I don't really care about trying to make the truck look like a mudder...I grew outta that a long time ago, lol.

Just want it to be as fuel efficient as possible for dirtbike hauling up in the hills.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The biggest consideration would be the fact that your speedometer is calibrated for the tire size on the door sticker. There are other considerations, too, like whether a given tire size will clear your suspension, fenders.......

My suggestion would be to go with the tire size showing on the door sticker. Believe it or not, there's a reason that Ford put that tire size on your truck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
30x9.5 is the same as a 235 75 15 which is a very reasonable tire size for all around use, I got 19mpg in the '91 explorer I had for a while with that setup (manual, 4.0L), 235's are cheaper than 30x9.5's even though a lot of them are the same tire...

31" tires will fill out the wheel wells a little more, the 4.0L won't notice much difference, there was a guy around back in the day that loved a 3.73:1 ratio with a 33" tire, but I'd stick to 30 or 31" tires...

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The biggest consideration would be the fact that your speedometer is calibrated for the tire size on the door sticker. There are other considerations, too, like whether a given tire size will clear your suspension, fenders.......

My suggestion would be to go with the tire size showing on the door sticker. Believe it or not, there's a reason that Ford put that tire size on your truck.

I already have all the different colored speedo sprockets to cover that problem, so no worries there...

I just want to get a decent, peak performance from the little truck if I'm going to go to all the trouble I have with it.

I've already converted it to a 5 speed and I have a manual transfer case I'm going to install in it soon too.

I've really enjoyed tinkering with it, parts are cheap and plentiful and the 4.0 pulls great with the 5 speed in it.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Tire size

Sense the new rangers are running a 16 inch rims I run a 235 75 16 or the 245.Plus it will change your rear gear At high speeds on the freeway your truck will do into the 80's or 90's.My 1991 4.0 with a 4.10 gear max out at 88 MPH Even with over drive I can barley get up to 90 But The engine is revving at 3000 RPM's.The less RPM's means better gas as long as you don't lug the motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals