• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Things to Check for While My Catalytic Converter is Out?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all.

Had to take the catalytic converter out of my 1992 Ranger Custom (4.0 liter) in order to get access to work on other things (don’t ask). :bawling:

While the cat is out, is there anything I can visually check for or do in order to discern the relative “health” of the unit? I’ve dumped so much money into the truck since I bought it earlier this year that I’d rather not have to replace the cat unit, but if it’s almost dead and there’s some way to tell, then I’d go ahead and do it. Alternately, if blowing air or a cleaner through it will help extend its life, then now’s the time.

Thanks. :icon_thumby:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take a flashlight. And look into it. Should be fairly easy to see if you have any issues. Any broken pieces. Large carbon deposits. And it’s tome to chuck it. If it looks solid and can see the honey comb and it’s intact. Leave it alone and run it

Don’t put any cleaner or anything into it. That will make the honeycombs become brittle. Just put it back in. And leave it be if it looks good.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take a flashlight. And look into it. Should be fairly easy to see if you have any issues. Any broken pieces. Large carbon deposits. And it’s tome to chuck it. If it looks solid and can see the honey comb and it’s intact. Leave it alone and run it

Don’t put any cleaner or anything into it. That will make the honeycombs become brittle. Just put it back in. And leave it be if it looks good.
Sounds good, man. I figured that putting cleaners in there would be a no-no, but you never know until you ask. I’ll take a peek with a flashlight today, but when I glanced into the inlet and outlet yesterday, I could see nice intact, clean-looking, almost white honeycomb mesh inside. So I’m prolly good. Thanks for your input, ‘Widow! :icon_thumby:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good, man. I figured that putting cleaners in there would be a no-no, but you never know until you ask. I’ll take a peek with a flashlight today, but when I glanced into the inlet and outlet yesterday, I could see nice intact, clean-looking, almost white honeycomb mesh inside. So I’m prolly good. Thanks for your input, ‘Widow! :icon_thumby:
No problemo! :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals