• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gas tank

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88 xlt ranger super cab and a short bed with the 2.9l auto. I was wondering how many gallons is the gas tank? Also when i do fill it up the fuel nozxle at the gas station doesnt cut off but i can see gas at the top of the gas neck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like the flapper isnt closing right. The fill capacity should be 14.5 gallons, give or take.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the flapper isnt closing right. The fill capacity should be 14.5 gallons, give or take.
The flapper closes right but i filled it up with 10 gallons and it was close to empty gas only comes out when you pump it cause it doesnt stop pumping when its full.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've never been able to get more than 9.9 gallons in my 88...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i've never been able to get more than 9.9 gallons in my 88...
Have you ever run it dry?

A 10 gallon tank is ridiculously small for a vehicle of any size.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever run it dry?

A 10 gallon tank is ridiculously small for a vehicle of any size.
no, i'm scared to because i bought the ranger so i don't have to walk. the time it fit 9.9 the needle was past E, and i topped it off. so yeah, the gauge could be inaccurate, but i'll just pretend its good for now

and yeah, i agree, neon's have 10 gallon tanks for christ sake. something that small doesn't belong in those let alone a ranger

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
no, i'm scared to because i bought the ranger so i don't have to walk. the time it fit 9.9 the needle was past E, and i topped it off. so yeah, the gauge could be inaccurate, but i'll just pretend its good for now

and yeah, i agree, neon's have 10 gallon tanks for christ sake. something that small doesn't belong in those let alone a ranger
Yeah, your gauge is busted. I go 200 miles on a tank in my truck and take on between 12 and 14 gallons depending on the time of year, how I was driving, and such and I have basically the same truck.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Also it has pressure on the tank. When i open up the cap it lets off a good bit of pressure. I found a hose that i thought could be a vacum hose and traced it all the way to the front of the truck to the vapor canister i think that is what it is. But that lined cant be stopped up because it is connected. Is there any other vacum lines? And could i go 200 miles on my truck? It usually says E when at about 150 miles and i get about 15 miles per gallon.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
The gauge in both of my '88s are funky.
The single cab doesn't work at all. I go 180-200 miles and go for gas.
The super works sort of. When I tested it outside the tank it read perfectly but not now, 75 miles and it reads 1/4, by 150 it is below E. I used the same rule for both, get to 180-200 miles and go for gas.

Don't trust that one, the oil pressure or temp, they all suk for various reasons.

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
You probably have a split in the float. It slowly fills with gas over time and starts to drop.. had that problem on my ranger.. just take off the bed, pop out the assembly.. and replace the float. I just snagged one from a 78 F150.. was the same thing. pop one float out, pop the other in.. and reassemble

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
What would cause it to make the gas pump not stop? It has pressure when i open the cap.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When the customer removes the pump handle from its place on the side of the dispenser, this action activates a switch that starts the dispenser operation. (In some cases the switch is spring-loaded and activates automatically; in others, the customer must raise a small lever manually to begin the process.) At that point, the customer simply inserts the nozzle into the car's gas tank and pulls the lever. Stopping the flow of gas is just as simple -- the customer need only release the lever to cut off the stream of fuel.

But what if the tank fills unexpectedly to the brim and the gasoline threatens to overflow? As anyone who's ever operated a gas pump knows, the pump will switch off automatically. But how does the pump know when to stop pumping?

As the gas level in the tank rises, the distance between the dispenser nozzle and the fuel grows smaller. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside the gas nozzle. When the end of the venturi pipe becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. Unfortunately, this shutdown can sometimes happen before the tank is full as the rapidly flowing gas backs up on its way into the tank. This can cause the gas handle to spring open before pumping is complete, leaving the annoyed customer to squeeze the handle again and risk the possibility of overflow. Pausing briefly will allow the gas to continue into the tank and the pump nozzle to start pouring gas again.

The venturi has a leak and is letting it go too far.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
When the customer removes the pump handle from its place on the side of the dispenser, this action activates a switch that starts the dispenser operation. (In some cases the switch is spring-loaded and activates automatically; in others, the customer must raise a small lever manually to begin the process.) At that point, the customer simply inserts the nozzle into the car's gas tank and pulls the lever. Stopping the flow of gas is just as simple -- the customer need only release the lever to cut off the stream of fuel.

But what if the tank fills unexpectedly to the brim and the gasoline threatens to overflow? As anyone who's ever operated a gas pump knows, the pump will switch off automatically. But how does the pump know when to stop pumping?

As the gas level in the tank rises, the distance between the dispenser nozzle and the fuel grows smaller. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside the gas nozzle. When the end of the venturi pipe becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. Unfortunately, this shutdown can sometimes happen before the tank is full as the rapidly flowing gas backs up on its way into the tank. This can cause the gas handle to spring open before pumping is complete, leaving the annoyed customer to squeeze the handle again and risk the possibility of overflow. Pausing briefly will allow the gas to continue into the tank and the pump nozzle to start pouring gas again.

The venturi has a leak and is letting it go too far.
I have been to a couple of gas stations that stop automatically with my other cars they just dont stop for my ranger isent there sonething that could cause that? And is it suppose to have pressure? My other cars do not.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my dodge neon has a 12.5 gallon tank. on the plus side when i put 20 in it and get half a tank ( well i used to) i would feel happy...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals