• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 Ranger won't start. Electrical.

kbush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A couple days ago the truck wouldn't start and popped the hood to see that the wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid had broke right at the eye. I replaced that and decided to go ahead and replace the solenoid as well. Truck fired right up. A couple days later I got off work, went to start it, and it's deader than a hammer. This morning I went to try and start it and it lit right off. It's been doing this on and off. Now since this morning it won't start anymore. I don't know if it's the battery or not. I don't imagine so unless the negative terminal has for some reason been compromised. One major thing is al lot of the wiring on the starter has a thin coat of oil on it. I have a bad gasket somewhere. Don't plan on replacing it. Not worth the effort on this old girl. If it means anything, when I turn the ignition to start all I get is one click.

1994 Ranger STX. 195k.

Thanks for any help.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
First thing I'd check for is a bad battery ground cable; they can rot inside and not look obvious. Next time it won't crank, use jumper cables to jumper the battery negative post to the engine block. If it then starts, you're looking at a bad ground cable. Be sure the terminals are clean, too. Good luck, and welcome to TRS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals