• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brakes not working after oil change

dtbjan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi there,
I have a 1993 Ranger 4 banger with a manual transmission.
On Wednesday, I went to get my oil changed at a jiffy lube type place. I usually don't like going to these places but I just moved into a new house and needed to change the oil before a short road trip home for thanksgiving.
They had me wait in the lobby and did the change in about 5 minutes.
I drove home without any issues and packed up to leave. I thought I noticed the brake pedal felt soft as I was first leaving the house, but then firmed up. I didn't notice any issues until I pulled onto the interstate and hit the brakes because traffic was slow and the pedal went to the floor. No stopping power at all. It was as if the brakes weren't doing anything. I could get some pressure if I pumped but the pedal would sink quickly.
I made it back home. It is not fun driving with almost no brakes.
I took my other vehicle instead and am now back in town. I haven't had time to dig into it but am hoping to get it worked out tomorrow.
Any ideas on what might have caused this? What could have happened at the jiffy lube to cause this? Why would it not show up until I had driven a few miles in traffic?
The level in the fluid reservoir has not dropped. I could not see any fluid leaks.
One thing I may have noticed but I can't really trust my memory: I saw one of the workers grab the water hose and pull it over to the drivers side of the engine bay and fill something. At the time, I figured it was the washer fluid reservoir. I have been working on my 97 F250 a lot lately and the washer fluid bottle is on the drivers side. On the ranger, the only reservoirs on the drivers side are the brake cylinder and clutch cylinder. Is this insane? Why would someone add water to the brake reservoir?
Please let me know if you have any advice.
Thanks,
Duncan

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Duncan:

I wouldn't think water would affect the seals, especially not that fast.

Brake fluid, either for clutch or brakes, is hygroscopic (water absorbing) so even if water wasn't deliberately added, there would be some in system, so seals should be able to cope. Water would cause corrosion long term and "spongy" brakes if heated (water boils at much lower temp than brake fluid), but it's still a liquid, so not like air in lines which will compress rather than pads applying.

Sounds like master cylinder issue. Could be just coincidental timing.

Let us know if you come up with something.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with Don. This sounds like an internal failure of the brake master cylinder, nothing that Jiffy Lube did. Also, shame on you for assuming sabotage.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
The water on the drivers side was probably to rinse off a fluid spill or top off the radiator. I'm not a fan of those places but I don't think they are dumb enough to fill the master cylinder with a hose.
This is why I don't like working on other peoples vehicles: You replace their window motor, then on the way home the brakes start squealing, or there is a clunk in the transmission, and suddenly it's your fault. :icon_confused:

dtbjan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this was a long time ago but wanted to update. It was the master cylinder. Replaced it and we're good to go. Thanks for the help.
Duncan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals