• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Your thoughts on CB radios??

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
Im thinking about purchasing a Cobra CB radio for my truck, and i wanted some opinions about them before i buy. Whats the best one? Whats the worst one?
I found one at the local radio shack for 129.99
Then at Wal-mart for 40.00 (looked real cheap and it was small)

And lastly, wich CB radio would you guys recommend (whats not the best one, but at the same time is not a piece of poop)

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have the $40 cobra job from wal-mart. It doesn't pick up well.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
cobra 29 LTD or 25 LTD, that's the base models you can get more options if you want. look at corba's web site. but dont buy a cb from wal-mart or radio shack they are all low end cb's and are junk. buy from a cb shop or directly from cobra, you can also pick one up at a truck stop for about the same price as a shop.

here's some links

cobra 29

cobra 25

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the Wal-Mart one in my F-150. I guesstimate about a 3-4 mile range, with a single 3' Firestick antenea. I need to track down a SWR meter so I can tune the antenea yet, and find somebody I know with a CB to figure out exactly how far it will reach.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Stay away from Radio Shack... While some of their radios do work decent, all their shit is grossly overpriced. Not familiar with the Wal-Mart one, but I don't think I've seen anyone have anything real good to say about it.

As said, truck stops and local CB shops can yield some nice radios without too much coin.
A good inexpensive radio is the Uniden PRO-510XL. It's also nice & small compared to some others.

Do get a good antenna for it though (and a SWR meter for tuning it). The antenna will make or break any radio's performance, cheap or expensive (just like with stereo speakers, spending a ton of dough on the unit itself is worthless if you then hook it up to some cheapy crap speakers, yet a cheap POS unit can still sound quite good through decent speakers).

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what 4x4 junkie just said was right on, but let me add: alot of truck stops are overpriced too, it's like buying candy at the movies, captive audience ya know. I've got 2 Unidens, one of those cheapo's that my dad bought about 20 years ago, and still works. I get it in the pickup with a magnetic atenae so it's easily stachable, outta sight outta mind. Anyway, I also drove long haul for awhile, and bought a real nice Bearcat (Uniden) for about $120.00, and had that hooked up to dual Firesticks. The great thing about that one is, it has a weather band, real nice if yer in tornado country... anyway check online too (Bearcat warehouse). And let me warn you, there is A LOT of garbage on the airwaves around those truck stops, so getcher virgin ears ready!

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
i've got a cobra 25 thats 20+ years on the job and still going.do get a good antenna,you won't regret it.

mine has been in numerous vehicles and is indispensible for helping with atlantas traffic wrecks and backups.fun to argue with truckers too.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another thing that helps is spending the money and getting a good mic like an Astatic, makes a world of difference i can tell when i run with my dad he has an Astatic Noise Canceling Microphone in his highway tractor on one radio, and a factory cobra mic on his other radio, i can easily tell which is which.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
can anyone give me some websites to buy a cobra radio, cobra themselves does'nt sell them derictly from thier website, and i dont want to buy one off of e-bay!!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
In the past, this place was always pretty good (haven't bought anything from there real recently though)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals