• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few questions....

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully here in a few weeks, if not sooner, I will be getting a 91 Marquis engine (from Psychopete) and just wondering about if a manual fuel pump can be put on them and what it will take to do that? And also anything bad about running the E6SE heads with a HO cam? Not looking to go crazy on the power, but while the engine is going to be gone through and out of the truck, might as well throw it in there.

Any and all info. is welcome.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A mechanical pump was a no-go on mine, that area gets really tight with the steering box. I used a $40 Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump mounted just ahead of the tank on the frame rail. I did run the main power through a inertial kill switch and a mechanical toggle switch (makes it handy when you want the carb empty to work on something)

The '86 Mustang GT ran the E6SE heads with an HO cam, it was rated at 200hp. I have an HO cam to poke in my E6 headed engine this winter.

While you are there I do recommend running a shorter front dress, Explorers are really common in JY's around me, although the pesky timing covers give fits as far as removing, it is hard to find one without at least one bolt broken off and you have to rip half the car off to get to discover this. I have done two and have resigned myself to paying the $100 and not have to do it again.

One thing I like about the Explorer is that the alternator bolts on from above, so if you are out of town and/or in the middle of nowhere it is three bolts and two connectors to replace the alternator. With the long pivot bolt that is mounted even closer to the radiator you have to pull the radiator to remove it (depending on set up of course) and then for my truck it is a domino effect, you have to remove the fan from the radiator, then remove the tranny coolers to remove the fan and remove the grille and offroad lights to get the tranny coolers... all for a stinkin alternator. :annoyed: Basically with the Explorer setup, you only have to pull the radiator for the water pump or dampener pulley/timing cover... which is fairly normal IMO. The alternator and power steering pump are mounted nice and high and are easy to remove from their brackets. The Explorer also has something like a 130A alternator...

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Funny you should mention the broken waterpump bolts. I picked up a 97 Exploder short block last weekend and it too has one broken pump bolt....the upper driver's side long bolt. Looks like whoever was responsible for assembling these engines thought it was funny to not use thread sealer on these bolts. The threads seep coolant, the coolant pools in the bolt hole in the timing cover and the bolt rust's itself to the aluminum cover.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you have to run a return? What is the pressure that the fuel pump that you are using at, may just replace the intank one on mine (use to be FI but the pump died) due to it runs at 7 psi anyways plus I can better control how much fuel it can get.

BTW what was the $100 thing you had to do to make sure a broken bolt wasnt going to happen again....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you have to run a return? What is the pressure that the fuel pump that you are using at, may just replace the intank one on mine (use to be FI but the pump died) due to it runs at 7 psi anyways plus I can better control how much fuel it can get.

BTW what was the $100 thing you had to do to make sure a broken bolt wasnt going to happen again....
No return, just like my 2.8 had. I cut a hunk out of the nylon fuel line and plumbed in my inline pump. I don't remember what pressure my pump is speced at but it works perfect the way it is.

I am buying a new timing cover ($100) rather than tear down yet another car to see if it had a broken bolt. You might get lucky and get the one off of your donar (gotta try, you are right there), I have tried twice with no luck. Both of mine were old injuries from water pump changes from years ago.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR6/635106.oap?year=1998&make=Ford&model=Explorer&vi=1304435&ck=Search_timing+cover_02383_1304435_298&keyword=timing+cover&pt=02383&ppt=C0141

Rockauto has a rather crude looking one for $75, sans gasket and seal and I would have to pay freight. Summit has them $100+freight for just the cover.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

The MrGasket 12S pump needs no return or regulator. Broken bolt prevention ? Use Thread sealer.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a link to the Mr. Gasket Pump, may do that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont have an o'reilly's around me, only autozone and advanceauto and napa.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They might have it too, I don't have the first two around me and I don't care for the Napa so I didn't try them. Check on their website.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya im not a napa person either.

So what is the advantage of using a 5.0 exploder timing cover vs the one that is made for the year of the engine? I know that water pump dirrection flow change sometime along the way.

I have no problem pushing (more like cutting and making it fit) the radiator in the front core support area.

Hopefully Psychopete gets back with me on a good time to go get the engine. Have a buddy that is willing to drive his ranger with me to go get it, fuel sake and wants to show off his ranger to anybody he can.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Advance stocks em too in their stores. Autozone likely does as well. I've had one feeding the three carbs on my 331 for four years now.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know that autozone has the fuel pumps in stock but they dont have the timing covers though. The 91 has a reverse pump on it.

How bad are the exploder exhaust manifolds, engine comes with them on it? Ill look into the other types that can work for this swap too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya im not a napa person either.

So what is the advantage of using a 5.0 exploder timing cover vs the one that is made for the year of the engine? I know that water pump dirrection flow change sometime along the way.
They are still reverse flow, the difference is in the way the water pump works with the timing cover.

85-93 Mustang reverse rotation (uses a backing plate on back of pump)

97-01 Explorer and 94-95 Mustang, water pump uses the timing cover as the backing plate.

94-95 Mustang uses the same cover. Autozone part numbers 500302T or 635-106, they will probably have to order them in. You might get lucky and get the one off the donar too. Rockauto has the 635-106 number with the gasket and seal for $100.

Even if you move the radiator ahead it will still give you another 1-1/2" to play with for electric fans and make repairs easier down the road... on top of the better accessories.

I know that autozone has the fuel pumps in stock but they dont have the timing covers though. The 91 has a reverse pump on it.

How bad are the exploder exhaust manifolds, engine comes with them on it? Ill look into the other types that can work for this swap too.
They work and fit well but are far from ideal from a performance standpoint.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 91 Marquis used a std rotation pump on a std rotation timing cover. The Mustang/pickup/vans used a different timing cover that matched the reverse pumps on them. The 79-85 Stangs used a reverse pump on the std rot. timing cover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals