• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 starting

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That noise is the impeller hitting the stator; when the torque converter is on the tranny, the input shaft and stator shaft keep the parts from hitting each other. So if the converter was working before it was removed it should be OK

unless, it was left outside and got water in it. Parts can rust inside the torque converter.

p.s. my 68 mustang with 289 has a smaller torque converter from a 6-cylinder transmission. Had to modify the flex plate to make it work, but it will have a higher stall speed on a larger motor. Helped prevent stalling the engine with a race cam.
the converter never worked for me. The second i put the truck into gear it would stall out everytime.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If i were to put in a shift kit rather than the manual valve body, would i need a kickdown cable to make it shift?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you only need a kickdown cable to make it 'kickdown' into 2nd for passing a car... dont know what to tell you with the info...but thats definatley NOT an AOD. its a c4 or c5.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the guy i bought it from said it was a C4 so im going to take his word. Seemed as if he knew what he was doing.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's a C-5 bellhousing. Look at the casting numbers, that'll tell you for sure. It would have a 79 or so or later casting number. As such, a C-4 torque converter will not work with it, the C-5 bell is deeper than a C-4 bell.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's a C-5 bellhousing. Look at the casting numbers, that'll tell you for sure. It would have a 79 or so or later casting number. As such, a C-4 torque converter will not work with it, the C-5 bell is deeper than a C-4 bell.
i used the converter that is matching to the bell. All out of a foxbody. I dont know if the C5 was stock equipment on foxbodys but the guy coulda swapped in the trans, who knows. The bell IS thicker than the other bell which was a C4. Now we know this is a C5 bell and C5 converter. This is really confusing now. Im thinking that C5 converters DONT work on C4 trans's due to the lock up feature? Does that matter at all in this case?

when i had the narrower C4 bell on with the C4 converter (2500 shahl) it at least kicked into all the gears just stalled out. Like i said, it sounds like something broke internally from that converter because all i hear is something clanging around inside of it when i picked it up off the ground. My C5 converter dont make any clanging noises at all, same with another converter i have layin around.

Tempted to get a C4 bell only the 6 bolt one (mine is a 5 bolt for a 289) and a new C4 converter

Last edited:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
mmm im thinking a 289 is the same bolt pattern as a 302

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You're really confusing things now. Is your 289 a 5 bolt block ? Or a 6 bolt? What year C-4 is it? Is it the early 5 bolt bell C-4 ? Or the in between the 5 bolt and 70's C-4 ? (this would be a 24 spline input shaft C-4) In about 69 or 70, Ford revised the C-4's with a 26 spline input shaft.

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
C-5's were used from 79 to about 82.
You could get the C-5 in a mustang as late as 1986. It was coupled with the 3.8L V6. I know this because I had one. It would be easy to grab the wrong one if not carefull.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals