• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

it drove to the crash i bypassed the impact switch still no spark

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
i bought a crashed 86 bronco2 now i have 5 this one is hit hard in the pass door. how can it be this cream puff truck drove to the acident took a hit in the pass door and rocker hard and now has no spark ? It did start for a second the first time i hit the key.it purred no ticks knocks or smoke .
The crash does not apear to have damaged any of the wiring that i can see without removing a seat. I pulled the distributor cap and spun the engine over to check shear pin in the distributor shaft seems solid turns well. Has no spark but has power to the coil so im stuck on this truck and another 86 i put a engine in last year to make a daily driver 2 different trucks now.

The other daily driver i have did something like that to me also . It was great runner for a couple hundreed miles then one day it took 3 atempts to start it. Very unusual but i went to store anyway and it restarted their fine. Drove home fine but next day it was no start and no spark . I tried computer and i tried a coilstill no spark could both trucks have the same issue ?
i am a retired old school mechanic new to this computer and the automotive computers with all the new gadgets and fuel injection.
thanks for any help or ideas on either truck .thank god the wheeler still runs lol

Last edited:

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused:
use of punctuation would make that alot easier to read.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
:icon_confused:
use of punctuation would make that alot easier to read.
Use of coherent thoughts and English would also be helpful.

From what I gather after a side impact you either reset or by-passed the FUEL PUMP CUT-OFF switch and are now confused about why you still don't have spark....

Try replacing the TFI module.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tripped that switch in my 88 B2, reset it, still nothing, cut if off and shorted the wires together and it worked happily ever after.

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
i hope this makes more sence

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
thank you -- yes on that post their was a lot of confusion i hope this one makes more sence to everyone . what is TFI and where is it is that what i call the computer on the kick panel inside ? or the module in the distributor im still driving points in my old chevy so i need a little more detail lol thanks again for the help

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
i learned that last year after fighting with my wheeler all year would run great half way up the mountain . But had to rest for a while before it would run on all the cylinders again was really weird . thats how i found this site and the answer did what you did and it goes like a son of a gun now all the way up the mountain.I am tempted to try the dist out of it in one of the others to see if thats why they quit

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
your posts make my head hurt.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
thank you -- yes on that post their was a lot of confusion i hope this one makes more sence to everyone . what is TFI and where is it is that what i call the computer on the kick panel inside ? or the module in the distributor im still driving points in my old chevy so i need a little more detail lol thanks again for the help
your TFI is located on the back of the distributor on the firewall side. there is about 3 inches between it and the firewall.
heres the link on how to relocate it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/remote_tfi.htm
i havnt done this yet, but its on my to-do list. which is getting longer every day.

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
well if they make your head hurt just think how much trouble i am in im the one with the problem trucks

LiLRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just to throw this out there, since I know nothing about B2s...
Have you checked the exhaust to see that its not pinched shut? The backpressure would stall the engine out, but it would still have spark..

ds1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l beast!
Transmission
Automatic
do what sfwjesse did with his Inertia switch (it shuts off spark incase of an accident). If you lift the carpet at the firewall on the passenger side, you will see a little black box with a two-wire harness going to it. There is a little BB inside there, and if there is enough of any kind of fource (lateral, rolling, etc), the BB will disengage and voltage to the ignition is cut off. After many years, they malfunction, so you'd be better of just splicing the two wires together. Mine just kept being intermittent, one day the car starts, the next it wouldnt. No problems after I spliced mine (gee I hope the B2 police dont read this).

But that is not the only reason your truck may not start, although I feel thats the reason. You'd want to get a new ICM (ignition control module). It attaches at the rear of the distributor, and it will go bad.

And yeah, in the future, if you post in better format, people would be more willing to help. it is very difficult to understand fully what you are trying to convey.

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
well thank you very much for the pointers .I have bypassed the fuel pump impact switch with a wire nut for testing putting the two wires together i had no idea it was conected to spark and fuel pump. i thought it was just fuel pump So i geuss i will go buy a new dist moduel and see what happens beings i have fuel pressure and power to the coil and still get no spark

NITRISGTO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 injected v-6
Transmission
Manual
i replaced the tfi

my truck started right up after installing a dist moduel. it had to go away at impact the truck was hit really hard in the pass door so it works thanks

BUT the other truck i put a engine in ? I drove it for a month then it wouldnt start one day . well i repaced its moduel also and yes it got spark back the moduel was the spark issue . but theirs no power at the bump switch conection ? i put a hot wire jumper to it and i got fuel pressure but it does not start or try to start .question is -- where does it get power from ? And does that power source also afect injectors ? Is their a fuesable link i missed ? i found a few of the starter solinoid and they all tested good.
again thanks for any ideas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals